Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

Like I said, I almost always use natural incubation with the Muscovy simply because they do such an outstanding job. If they weren't so heavy, I'd use them to hatch all the chickens too!
LOL, yes Natural incubation is the best!!!! Alls we can do is try to duplicate what they do.

Personally, I always let my Muscovies hatch their own eggs. A Muscovy duck could hatch a rock! The thing I don't like about incubators with Muscovy eggs is trying to get the cooling off period correct. Leaving the door open for half an hour seems to work best, but the timing is the key.
I always worry mine will find a snake egg and want to sit on it.

I do incubate all the chickens. I will readily admit though that I have not been able to get the Muscovies to hatch the Goose eggs; they are just to large for the ducks.

I do incubate all the chickens. I will readily admit though that I have not been able to get the Muscovies to hatch the Goose eggs; they are just to large for the ducks.
one of my Scovy ducks was sitting on 4 goose eggs last year she decided on her own, but after 2 weeks I candled and non were fertile. So I gave her Scovy eggs to sit on. One of my Scovy's hatched an Embden gosling almost 7 yrs ago. Took him almost 6 yrs to realize he wasn't a giant duck.

I sure wish I could get my Muscovies to hatch the Geese. Because the Geese are ground nesters I have to find them and continually dust the eggs to keep the fire-ants at bay. It's a real pain. The Muscovies all lay in the cock-barrels and I don't have the fire-ant problem. The Poms make great mothers, but getting the goslings out is the issue.

I sure wish I could get my Muscovies to hatch the Geese. Because the Geese are ground nesters I have to find them and continually dust the eggs to keep the fire-ants at bay. It's a real pain. The Muscovies all lay in the cock-barrels and I don't have the fire-ant problem. The Poms make great mothers, but getting the goslings out is the issue.
I'm so glad we don't have fire ants in our part of NC. I understand they will kill Goslings and ducklings. Have you ever tried to sneak a goose egg under one of your broody Scovys? that how i did it with my first gosling, she was already brooding on some eggs so I just lifted her butt up and slipped the egg under her. The one from last year when into the gooses stall and started sitting I kept going in and shewing her out because I knew i couldn't leave her in there with the geese going in to sleep so I just gave her half the eggs and put her in a X large dog crate in my feed roo, she stayed. one determined lil girl.

Back
Top Bottom