Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

I just try to think like there MOMMIES, if Mommies lay them down and is successful. WHY not duplicate it? Apparently they are the best hatchers at this so why not copy her?

SORRY MOMMY DUCKS, WE ARE TAKEN OVER YOUR HATCHING WAYS. WE AREN'T AS GOOD BUT WILL GET THERE. LOL

Hi all,
Ive been lurking for a while since i have 6 muscovy eggs. Day 35 will be saturday. The first part of the process moisture loss seemed really good. Part of the incubation, some lost quite a bit more than the 2.8%. This week has been better.
I did have a chicken hatch going simultaneously and was trying to keep it all happy. Next time, will keep to one species at a time. I'm in CA, and now have my brinsea at 53%. For the most of the incubation it was at about 40%. But with the moisture losses up, i upped it.
But I'm not sure how much is too much humidity at this time. I don't want to drown them. the moisture loss just is hard to keep to 2.8%.
Been misting, but a little leary to overdo it. From what I read, misting causes MORE moisture loss.
So here I am, new to little duckies and so nervous about hatch day. I was told they take longer, but may need help. Which comes the question: then how do I know when to help? And this hole drilling thing I see has my nerves souring. I really want these little babies to hatch.
I'm planning on stop turning them on Day 32, unless that's wrong.
And do I mist more on the last 3 days than once?
Hoping this thread can help me when I'm going through this. Doesn't sound as easy as chickens.

There are several ways to control humidity (to a point), but your hatching day is fast approaching and soon you need to raise the humidity a bit and remember to keep your vents OPEN. Two of the things that kill full term ducks are:
1. Humidity was kept too high and ducklings are too big to move inside the shell. That is a big culprit of full term deaths.
2. Air, there must be fresh air in the incubator. The hard part is keeping humidity and temperature correct with a fresh air exchange.
There are other factors too but sometimes you lose some when you've done EVERYTHING right. We can only do our best but we are not Mother Nature.
Best of luck to you on Saturday....don't give up early, some may hatch Sunday or Monday.

Did this duck already internally pip? They aren't due until sat. (or LATE friday night). I candled and saw this movement, but the air cell LINE looks intact.

There are several ways to control humidity (to a point), but your hatching day is fast approaching and soon you need to raise the humidity a bit and remember to keep your vents OPEN. Two of the things that kill full term ducks are:
1. Humidity was kept too high and ducklings are too big to move inside the shell. That is a big culprit of full term deaths.
2. Air, there must be fresh air in the incubator. The hard part is keeping humidity and temperature correct with a fresh air exchange.
There are other factors too but sometimes you lose some when you've done EVERYTHING right. We can only do our best but we are not Mother Nature.
Best of luck to you on Saturday....don't give up early, some may hatch Sunday or Monday.
Thank you charlindabob, I've appreciated all of your info throughout this thread.
I have the Brinsea and the top vent is wide open. there are 4 small ones on the bottom that are always open. It doesn't seem like enough, but it must be.
I will keep updating :)

I was afraid of this... No he is not internally pipped, he's just moving around to get into position. You really need to calm down, there is no need to panic until hatching day, these panic attacks will only cause problems, I understand the excitement and thrill but really you must leave them alone and let them have there peace time, they are in the processes of grooming themselves and preping. They don't want to disappoint you when they come out. So just patiently let them prepare for there escape.. And then you can panic... Lol

I was afraid of this... No he is not internally pipped, he's just moving around to get into position. You really need to calm down, there is no need to panic until hatching day, these panic attacks will only cause problems, I understand the excitement and thrill but really you must leave them alone and let them have there peace time, they are in the processes of grooming themselves and preping. They don't want to disappoint you when they come out. So just patiently let them prepare for there escape.. And then you can panic... Lol
ok. that makes sense. I never seen them do this so early(well chickens anyways. I probably just didn't' catch it before). so I thought we were starting too soon. I don't like things to start when I'm not ready, lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom