Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

I am curious as to what everyone thinks of "lockdown" and the reason behind it?  Why do we lockdown at hatching?

I think basically lockdown is a nice way to say DO NOT TOUCH!!

But I can tell you I have experemented with it. I did it on chickens I have not tried it on a duck yet, but I kept my settings at the exact temp and humidity as I did from day 1-18 the last three days I did not lock down my chicken eggs, I opened the bator just as if I was turning them, I did not turn them though, at the time I was hand turning my eggs because I didn't have a turner, but I kept my humidity at 55 temp was at 100. And treated them as normal. Did they hatch. YES THEY DID AND THEY DID JUST FINE..

so I posted a form on here WHY LOCKDOWN, they still hatched they turned out fine. I got some interesting response. I plan on trying the same thing on my ducks, I'm very curious if it is really necessary to lock them down. Right now I would say yes only because it seems like ducks need that high humidity to escape from there shell. There shells are thicker making it more challenging for them. Momma ducks do it, they will take a dip and sit on the eggs soak and wet. So we basically try to duplicate what they do, as far as chickens well chickens don't take a dip, however they do poop on there eggs and I'm assuming this is how they work there lockdown.. But it is possible to hatch out chickens without the need of locking them down, I know this for a fact. When I try it on ducks I will let you know the out come..

I think basically lockdown is a nice way to say DO NOT TOUCH!!

But I can tell you I have experemented with it. I did it on chickens I have not tried it on a duck yet, but I kept my settings at the exact temp and humidity as I did from day 1-18 the last three days I did not lock down my chicken eggs, I opened the bator just as if I was turning them, I did not turn them though, at the time I was hand turning my eggs because I didn't have a turner, but I kept my humidity at 55 temp was at 100. And treated them as normal. Did they hatch. YES THEY DID AND THEY DID JUST FINE..

so I posted a form on here WHY LOCKDOWN, they still hatched they turned out fine. I got some interesting response. I plan on trying the same thing on my ducks, I'm very curious if it is really necessary to lock them down. Right now I would say yes only because it seems like ducks need that high humidity to escape from there shell. There shells are thicker making it more challenging for them. Momma ducks do it, they will take a dip and sit on the eggs soak and wet. So we basically try to duplicate what they do, as far as chickens well chickens don't take a dip, however they do poop on there eggs and I'm assuming this is how they work there lockdown.. But it is possible to hatch out chickens without the need of locking them down, I know this for a fact. When I try it on ducks I will let you know the out come..

I think you may have hit the proverbial nail-on-the-head when you say it is a nice way to say "do not touch". I personally do not adhere to the "lockdown theory" and have successfully hatched chicken, pheasant, duck, turkey and goose eggs. I usually "dry incubate" and only raise the humidity during the last 2-3 days of incubation. As I've said before, high humidity during incubation and low or no air circulation during hatch causes many full term deaths in the shell.
Of course my way may not necessarily be your way and I am only telling the way I do it. Your mileage may vary....

I think you may have hit the proverbial nail-on-the-head when you say it is a nice way to say "do not touch". I personally do not adhere to the "lockdown theory" and have successfully hatched chicken, pheasant, duck, turkey and goose eggs. I usually "dry incubate" and only raise the humidity during the last 2-3 days of incubation. As I've said before, high humidity during incubation and low or no air circulation during hatch causes many full term deaths in the shell.
Of course my way may not necessarily be your way and I am only telling the way I do it. Your mileage may vary....

I have done my hatchings both ways and been successful with both methods, that is why I posted on my site two different methods of hatching. I have to agree, the "dry method" or what I call the lazy method on my site, seems to have a much better outcome because you don't have to worry about them getting sticky because of to much moisture. Since experimenting with different ways of hatching, I do like my Lazy Method on my site under the Duck tab. www.lwbarnhouse.com a lot better then any other methods that I have done.

no noise. another one is rocking around. the first one seems a little more powerful in movements. but still I don't see any external pips or any sounds. And I've been "quacking" to them, lol

CORRECTION!!… I got one external pipper!! But it's not the one who seemed earlier than the others. Go figure. Say a little prayer for them over here. I just want them all to pop out quick and healthy. Oh and easy, pray for easy (I do ask for a lot in my prayers)

Back
Top Bottom