Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

The hen that laid them started with a nest of 17 or 18 and a couple busted in the nest, plus she made the nest out in the open and all eggs got drenched right before she abandoned them, so bacteria could have come from there the busted eggs and/or the wet nest. If I find more like that one I will send them off for necropsy.

-Kathy

4 of 12 either pipped or were trying to pip on the non-air cell side of the egg. One is dead. The brown spot is where this one was trying to pip.

-Kathy

I am curious as to what everyone thinks of "lockdown" and the reason behind it? Why do we lockdown at hatching?
hahahaha... I think you know my opinion of "lockdown"!

simply put.. it was created by the "old timers" who got tired of "newbies" messing with the eggs.. and instead of finding the reason WHY a hatch would fail.. they put the blame squarely onto the newbie's shoulders for opening the darn incubator..

my parents and grandparents never did "lockdown".. their grandparents never did either... it was never heard of until recently... chickens, ducks and other birds also don't "lockdown"... it's just become the "new thing" to do since it's easier to place blame than to figure out what the real issue is.. whether it be sanitation, poor fertility, carbon dioxide poisoning, lack of proper turning, bad feeding of adult birds, poor incubator design, poor humidity during incubation / hatch and so on...

Once my broodies feel the eggs moving they don't touch them much. Yes, they do get moved a little, but they aren't actively tuning them 24/7. One might think how would you know? Well, lol, I used cochin banties to incubate some of my pea eggs last season and they lived in boxes on in my living room, so I was around them most of the day and night.
hide.gif

-Kathy

Kathy I would be making that dark spotted one a safe hole but not in that spot in the air cell. Unless it's dead not sure if you said so or not.

Last edited:
Kathy I would be making that dark spotted one a safe hole but not in that spot in the air cell. Unless it's dead not sure if you said so or not.
I made a safe hole where the spot is, 'cause that's where it's beak is, but I also made a hole on the air cell side and moistened the membrane.

-Kathy

hahahaha... I think you know my opinion of "lockdown"!

simply put.. it was created by the "old timers" who got tired of "newbies" messing with the eggs.. and instead of finding the reason WHY a hatch would fail.. they put the blame squarely onto the newbie's shoulders for opening the darn incubator..

my parents and grandparents never did "lockdown".. their grandparents never did either... it was never heard of until recently... chickens, ducks and other birds also don't "lockdown"... it's just become the "new thing" to do since it's easier to place blame than to figure out what the real issue is.. whether it be sanitation, poor fertility, carbon dioxide poisoning, lack of proper turning, bad feeding of adult birds, poor incubator design, poor humidity during incubation / hatch and so on...

Oh yes Great One, I bow down to you o great teacher!! LOL. Yep, I know exactly how you feel about "lockdown" and I have followed you and am in total agreement and have been your disciple and have been voicing what I have learned from you. I never did follow the lockdown rule but I learned from you about the importance of humidity or the importance of too much humidity and have passed it on as it makes perfect sense once you explained it. Some people (me) need a reason for things and once it was explained to me, a light came on! OK, OK, it wasn't a very bright light, but a light never the less. I learned much from you and I truly thank you.
I haven't been in here much lately and it is good to see you here.
Bob

Back
Top Bottom