Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

Thanks yinepu !

One could learn what may have taken years from your hatching directions. I learned and my hatch rate has been much better and I haven't changed incubators, just the way I do it.

Reminds me, I have goose eggs to turn.....

Bob

no problem.. glad I have been some help..

lol.. the world needs more muscovy! (yes.. they are planning world domination... just don't tell anyone...)
hide.gif

Quote: No, they were all laid here, stored fat end up in a cool room. One was not fertile, one had a blood ring, four died at or near 26 days, four hatched as they should have. I put the next 9 eggs under two banty cochins in my house, lol, and all 9 hatched.

-Kathy

Quote: No, they were all laid here, stored fat end up in a cool room. One was not fertile, one had a blood ring, four died at or near 26 days, four hatched as they should have. I put the next 9 eggs under two banty cochins in my house, lol, and all 9 hatched.

-Kathy

sounds like it could have been bacterial .. or mishandling..
I was so careful and the eggs were *very* clean. You should have seen me, peahens lay at about the same time every day, so I would be out there waiting and I would pick that egg up the moment it was laid. Actually had one hen lay from the perch and I caught those as they fell! This year I'll be using an incufridge for storage, not just a cool room in the house.

-Kathy

I have 11 of the "French" White Muscovy Ducks, my very favorite breed of duck (and I've raised a couple of hundred Mandarins and still favor the Muscovy) and they (or maybe just one of them) are starting to lay their first eggs and I hope to get some fertile clutch's as I would like to raise about 50-75 this spring.
I believe they will be fertile as there is much action going on in their enclosure but if they are not fertile for some reason, I am going to order some fertile eggs again this spring.

What's the difference between a French Muscovy and the black/white and chocolates that I have?

-Kathy

As I understand it.....A few, not just any white Muscovy have been genetically improved in France for a superior duck that is larger and all white in coloration (this makes it better looking processed duck, with more breast meat, etc.
They were imported from France to a place in PA and a few other fanciers (ie WOWSA FARMS in NC and Celtic Oaks here in FL) have a breeding group of these fabulous ducks. I like the light brown and white Muscovys too, but I will only keep the white one to keep mine pure.
Some, not all, Muscovys are downright mud fence ugly and some are as pretty as a dew kissed rose (lol) and I wouldn't trade my ducks for any other duck bar none!
Kathy, if you can, go to youtube and type in French White Muscovy and watch Jon's short video on his ducks at WOWSA Farms. Ain't they just the cutiest things y'all ever did see? Prettier than a red dirt road in Georgia !!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom