Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

Oh wow, you are so busy with birds. Even parrots? That's so awesome! Someday i'll get to the point where I can master it all like you have. That is really impressive

yup.. we have two parrots that are ours.. the ones I hatch out belong to a few local breeders plus one of our relatives... so when breeding season is in full swing I stay pretty busy depending on their demand

WOW yinepu - you are as crazy as I am! We have an Umbrella, two Quakers, a Sun, a Cherry Head, a Blue Crown, an Indian Ringneck, a cockatiel, a Caique, two Ringneck Doves, two canaries, a Green Singing Finch, five finches in a flight cage (Indian Silverbill, a Spice and three Societies), and seven parakeets! No one breeds but the parakeets - thank goodness! The Blue Crown is pretty attached to the Sun - I keep hoping the Sun doesn't start laying. I don't think the Blue Crown is smart enough to figure out how to mate with her - although he is AWFULLY possessive of her!

We have our hands full with the chicks when they hatch out.. I usually end up hand feeding them for several weeks then send them back to the breeders

i think my african grey would develop a complex if I kept a bunch of them.. he's so darn spoiled (and opinionated) and loves being the king of the castle!

love.gif
thumbsup.gif

I now have 11 Embden eggs in the incubator which I wouldn't bet a nickel on them being fertile, but just to be sure, they are in there.

I also just added 6 Muscovy eggs from my last years hatch which are just starting to lay. Now those may be fertile as I've seen a lot of action in their pen, but yet again, this is their first time.

Been trying to get on a list for Midget White turkeys. I want to put a dozen in the incubator.

Someday I'd like to try a couple of emu or rhea fertile eggs.

And on an unrelated note, I really do not have even a hint of a green thumb, but my African Violets are doing very well !

OMG, Kathy those are some GREAT pics.

Here's a pickle I got myself into, I threw some eggs in the bator, one was cracked pretty good at the air cell. So I applied tape to it. Well I really wasn't expecting anything to happen but I candled it last night. LOL sure enough is GROWING.

OMG, but stupid me forgot the reason why I put the tape on it in the first place, so I started pealing the tape off, ONLY to cause more damaged to already Cracked shell. Now theres a THUMB print of broken shell. Some of the shell has fallen off but the embryo STILL ALIVE.

So I taped it back up really good. Will see if this guy can make it to the end. He's on his 10th day, I really don't expect much or expect him to make it but it would be interesting if he does.

IF he does and that's a BIG IF, we can put me down for: W T H ????? they don't even die when you CRACKED 3/4 of the SHELL? How is that Possible..

Last edited:
EASY question for the experts: Is it OK to write on the eggs (just number them!) with a Sharpie? I have been numbering them with a pencil, but the numbers are rubbed off by Zippy when she turns and sits on the eggs. I know egg shells are porous, so not sure if Sharpie ink is safe.

@casportpony - Your babies are PRECIOUS! Are those zip ties on their legs to identify them? We thought of doing that, but were afraid they would get too tight and we would not be able to get them off. Do you have any problems with them? I know they make leg bands....We are currently still using the "dot of food coloring on the head" method of identification!

EASY question for the experts: Is it OK to write on the eggs (just number them!) with a Sharpie? I have been numbering them with a pencil, but the numbers are rubbed off by Zippy when she turns and sits on the eggs. I know egg shells are porous, so not sure if Sharpie ink is safe.

@casportpony - Your babies are PRECIOUS! Are those zip ties on their legs to identify them? We thought of doing that, but were afraid they would get too tight and we would not be able to get them off. Do you have any problems with them? I know they make leg bands....We are currently still using the "dot of food coloring on the head" method of identification!

I use a Sharpie on all of my Eggs, there's a lot of discrepancies about it. Some say it goes into the pores but I have done it for YEARS, I have never had an issue with using it. For me I put the date that the eggs are in the process. If you really think about it if a sharpie ruins it then why not any other type of Ink or Pencil markings.

But for me, Sharpie's are not an issue..

I use a Sharpie on all of my Eggs, there's a lot of discrepancies about it. Some say it goes into the pores but I have done it for YEARS, I have never had an issue with using it. For me I put the date that the eggs are in the process. If you really think about it if a sharpie ruins it then why not any other type of Ink or Pencil markings.

But for me, Sharpie's are not an issue..

Thank you, Lori!
smile.png

No an expert, but I tried pencil on eggs under hens and it wore off, so I started using a sharpie instead. I've heard that some people use crayons.

Thanks! The zip ties are for ID, but they do need to be watched closely and changed before they get too big.

-Kathy

OMG, Kathy those are some GREAT pics.

Here's a pickle I got myself into, I threw some eggs in the bator, one was cracked pretty good at the air cell. So I applied tape to it. Well I really wasn't expecting anything to happen but I candled it last night. LOL sure enough is GROWING.

OMG, but stupid me forgot the reason why I put the tape on it in the first place, so I started pealing the tape off, ONLY to cause more damaged to already Cracked shell. Now theres a THUMB print of broken shell. Some of the shell has fallen off but the embryo STILL ALIVE.

So I taped it back up really good. Will see if this guy can make it to the end. He's on his 10th day, I really don't expect much or expect him to make it but it would be interesting if he does.

IF he does and that's a BIG IF, we can put me down for: W T H ????? they don't even die when you CRACKED 3/4 of the SHELL? How is that Possible..
I've had a couple hatch that I had to repair like that that were under hens, so you might get lucky.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom