Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

Update - Two duckling are out and fluffed, but one looks a little iffy. When I went to check on the other two eggs the duck wasn't sitting on them and they were cold. This is the one I am most worried about, it's air cell is at the wrong end of the egg. I'm surprised it's still alive, and it was trying to pip at the end without an air cell (heard it peep once, I think), so I decided to pip for it and of course there is a little blood. :( Anyway, the two egg are in the incubator now and the two ducklings are curled up on hot water bottles while I prepare the brooder. -Kathy
The first egg doesn't look good, lots and lots of gooy stuff, the second one looks fine, it's doing the dipping and you can se him pushing on the membrane, he may be backwards though.. In fact I'm sure of it, that must be his butt pushing on the membrane definitely not his beak. When's the due date ??

Quote: All four pictures are the *same* egg. First picture was taken at about 7 days, second a week later, third and fourth a week later than that. When I checked it today I coud see that it was trying to pip where there was no air cell, so I make a hole.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Hi all.
I'm about to embark on incubating and have been collecting most of the eggs from my two girls who are laying. The eggs I have range from anywhere up to a month old to a few days.
I understand the older ones are probably not viable anymore but when putting the eggs under light I have no idea what I am looking for and when:-/
The only consistency I can see is that in about 80% of them there is a darker orange (I'm assuming due to the torch) blob about an eighth to a quarter of the inside of the egg that moves to the highest point when I rotate it.
Is this the yolk?
Any advice and feedback will be greatly appreciated!
Incubator should be here by mid next week so hit me with all the info you have:)

Hi all.
I'm about to embark on incubating and have been collecting most of the eggs from my two girls who are laying. The eggs I have range from anywhere up to a month old to a few days.
I understand the older ones are probably not viable anymore but when putting the eggs under light I have no idea what I am looking for and when:-/
The only consistency I can see is that in about 80% of them there is a darker orange (I'm assuming due to the torch) blob about an eighth to a quarter of the inside of the egg that moves to the highest point when I rotate it.
Is this the yolk?
Any advice and feedback will be greatly appreciated!
Incubator should be here by mid next week so hit me with all the info you have:)

Yes that would be your yolk that you are seeing.

So no fertilized eggs yet:-(
How many days after the egg is laid should I expect to see those tiny veins once they are fertile?

if they are being incubated consistently... you should begin to see veins on the VERY early ones around 4 days... I never count any muscovy egg out though until day 10 just to be sure since they have a longer incubation.. if you have them under a broody who is constantly getting up.. or if the bator is running cool.. i would give them a few more days beyond those 10 before tossing..

Back
Top Bottom