Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

Well, if you're selling ducklings for pets, you'd want them tame. Me, I breed for egg production ( limit them to one or two clutches, eat or sell the other eggs) and the excess young drakes I'll sell for meat or butcher them myself. Delicious!

None of my nests are predator proof, but most of the hens prefer making their nests up against the house and the skunks, coons, opossums, foxes and coyotes seem to stay away so far. We do have a 5' chain link, that used to keep most things out, but with the drought they've come down from the hills and figured out how to go over and under it.

-Kathy

As I predicted.. our broody muscovy had her nest raided last night. I'm betting on raccoons.. they left behind one egg (which I found this afternoon).. it was pretty cold, but I did candle and see the lil spider .. couldn't tell if the heart was still beating or not.. so I plopped it into one of the incubators.. in a few days I'll know if I got to it in time or not,.. so that proves my point of why I trust the incubator vs a broody...

I suspect I've probably done lots of things wrong in this process. It's a great big learning curve and it's going to be interesting to see how the first incubation turns out. I'm getting very nervous as I keep getting told how difficult Scovies are to incubate.
All I can do is learn from each mistake and not repeat it an keep talking to wonderful people like all of you :)

nah.. hatching scovys is easy peasy... I do it all the time

I'm pretty sure this link is somewhere in this thread, but here it is again in case you haven't read it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-and-hatching-muscovy-eggs

-Kathy

thumbsup.gif

Ain't that the truth! Another reason I started to incubate Muscovy eggs it to hone my incubation skills for the 2014 pea egg season. Figure if I could get the kinks out I might have better luck with peafowl.

-Kathy

-Kathy

let me know if you need any help with the peas.. I just put peafowl eggs in the bator last week.. and like scovys.. they are easy peasy too... and I'll be writing up a few new articles on hatching out bantam ducks (calls, east indies, mandarins and so on) and peafowl since I have had several requests... I would do one on reptiles and parrots... but we don't seem to have a need for it on this forum.. lol...

what I find funny is, if you check.. people have problems hatching out everything.. the "scovy people" swear scovies are hard to hatch... "silkie people" swear silkies are hard to hatch.. the "call duck people" claim they have problems hatching out calls and that they are "tricky" to hatch.. "mandarin people" swear you can't hatch out mandarins without a broody... the "peafowl peeps" swear peafowl are hard to hatch...the "shipped egg people" expect horrible results...and the list goes on

funny thing is hatching out one is no more difficult than hatching out anything else.. you just need to know the tips for that species and how your bator works.. IT CAN BE DONE (and it's NOT as hard as "they" want you to think it is)!!!
lau.gif

truth be told I have a lot of secrets that I employ for storing and hatching eggs... lol.. i just don't share them with people who troll me!!!

Found two ice cold eggs outside a nest, brought them in, warmed them up, saw no movement, so I started an eggtopsy... that's when I saw them moving! One had pipped externally, the other just internally, so they both have a chance, I think.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom