Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

I believe that is true when our natural climate enables the animals to do things as nature intended. When you take ducks out of their natural climate, things don't always work properly. It is true with any animal in captivity.
I think you're right, these eggs were all laid in less that ideal spots.

-Kathy

Quote:
which is one more reason why I prefer the incubator over a broody.. I have better results.. plus if there is an issue I can do what I'm able to fix it before it's too late
What do you think about this one. Pictures are at about 90° apart.

-Kathy

Here is an egg I found pipped yesterday. It hadn't made any progress in 24 hours, so I helped.
Note foot over head. Many of mine cannot zip like this.

From here it just popped out.

A little redder than I like, so I applied some chlorhexidine.

Inside of shell

Looks sticky, to high humidity at one point. OUCH

Quote:
which is one more reason why I prefer the incubator over a broody.. I have better results.. plus if there is an issue I can do what I'm able to fix it before it's too late

-Kathy

air cell looks small... what day is that egg on?.. if it's close to hatch you may have a few issues there...

Quote:

-Kathy

air cell looks small... what day is that egg on?.. if it's close to hatch you may have a few issues there...
No clue what day, but it came from a nest that I found a fluffed duckling and a pipped egg in yesterday.

-Kathy

Then all of my Muscovy eggs that have ever hatched were sticky, 'cause that's how all of them look. I'm talking hundreds incubated under ducks in the last five years.

-Kathy

Muscovy do have a tendency to have a fair amount of "glop" in the bottom of the egg.. a bit more than what would be usual for a regular duck... most will hatch just fine with it... it's thicker and tends to stay in the pointy end of the egg.. you will find it in flamingo eggs too.. and when you candle the eggs you may see a "clear" section down in the pointy end of the egg...

it's the excess goo around the duckling that causes the issue with stickiness (and drowning)... which comes from humidity being too high... it tends to be an amber color and is a bit more "free flowing"..
other than high humidity... it can also be caused by insufficient turning during the last part of incubation.. one way to counter it is by turning the egg more frequently during the last week and a half of incubation.. since the extra turning causes the embryo to absorb some of the excess albumen... I think that's also one reason I don't have all the issues that a lot of people have .. since I hand turn the eggs 5 times a day

No clue what day, but it came from a nest that I found a fluffed duckling and a pipped egg in yesterday.

-Kathy
they could be laid late then... have you seen much movement in the egg (just under the membrane or showing as moving lump/bump in the air cell)?... if you're seeing movement in the air cell.. but not an internal pip.. it would indicate an egg closer to hatch

they could be laid late then... have you seen much movement in the egg (just under the membrane or showing as moving lump/bump in the air cell)?... if you're seeing movement in the air cell.. but not an internal pip.. it would indicate an egg closer to hatch
It looks like it's pressing against the membrane, but there's very little movement.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom