Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

Thanks!

One concern, however:
The second egg (which has already externally pipped) has a little dark spot near the pointy end with a circular yellow discoloration in the area surrounding the spot. My guess is that the duckling was squirming around inside and managed to rip off a piece of the internal membrane in that area (explaining the dark spot), and exposed the proximal area of the shell to some of the fluid inside the membrane (explaining the yellow discoloration).

Does anyone have a better idea of what the spot/discoloration is? Is it anything to worry about?

Last edited:
he hatched he was perfect peeping alive as can be and I put,him in the brooder that is a tub bin and the,next morning he was dead and there was a giant,horsefly in tge room

I need some urgent advice on my incubated eggs.
They're at day 37 and both are moving (though slower in the last few days) but neither have internally pipped.
I'm being told to assist them but I am frightened I will hurt them.
If I wait too long I risk losing them. If I do this and they would have hatched I risk hurting them.
What should I do?

I need some urgent advice on my incubated eggs.
They're at day 37 and both are moving (though slower in the last few days) but neither have internally pipped.
I'm being told to assist them but I am frightened I will hurt them.
If I wait too long I risk losing them. If I do this and they would have hatched I risk hurting them.
What should I do?
What was the humidity during incubation? I'm thinking it was too high, which caused the internal membrane to thicken and become almost rubber-like, making it impossible for them to internally pip. Also, are you sure there is no internal pip? Sometimes it can be hard to see; do you see any shadows inside the air sac at all? If you're certain there's nothing there, I would give it one more day, and then carefully assist. Have you read that informative sticky regarding assisted hatches?

Btw, I'll try to get a pic of the two cuties in the brooder up here sometime soon :)

What was the humidity during incubation? I'm thinking it was too high, which caused the internal membrane to thicken and become almost rubber-like, making it impossible for them to internally pip. Also, are you sure there is no internal pip? Sometimes it can be hard to see; do you see any shadows inside the air sac at all? If you're certain there's nothing there, I would give it one more day, and then carefully assist. Have you read that informative sticky regarding assisted hatches?

Btw, I'll try to get a pic of the two cuties in the brooder up here sometime soon :)

No I spoke to a number of people when I was ready to incubate and decided to go with yinepus suggestion for a dry hatch so my humidity was quite low.
It started out in the low 20s then went up to the low 40s around the second week for a week and dropped back to the mid 20s until lockdown.
The air sacks didn't get as big as they should have and I lost quite a few in the middle there so somewhere, something must have gone wrong?
I haven't seen the article you mentioned. Do you know what it's called?
I'm obviously concerned that they're at day 37 with no action yet but what concerns me more is that they're progressively less active over the last few days with still the energy of the hatch needed :-(
P.S - I can't wait to see your little cuties all fluffed up!!
Thanks for the quick reply :)

Back
Top Bottom