Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

Three are out and fluffing up! Since both of my incubators are occupied I had to put them in a towel on warm water bottles and I covered that with a sleeping bag. Humidity in my house is quite low and two still managed to zip. Go figure...

-Kathy
You just have the knack Kathy
wink.png

Little Pip is growing so quickly! She/he is 17 days old today.
I keep analyzing her trying to work out what sex she is but I really have no idea lol. It's hard with her being the only duckling so I can't compare to anything else and me still not being very experienced with bubba ducks makes it harder. PRAYING she's a girl so I can keep her.

Last edited:
First time hatching Muscovy eggs and I need somebody to hold me!
big_smile.png
I've read Yinepu's wonderful guide but I'm still nervous. I set my shipped eggs on Thursday and I haven't touched them. I set them upright in a cardboard egg container in my incubator and I'm going to weigh them so that I can judge how they're developing. Humidity is low at 23% *edit* just re-read the guide and it says not to move them for weighing*

What I'm unsure of is, how do I turn them? When hatching chicken eggs I do the O and X turn odd number of times a day. Per Yinepu's instructions you only lay them on their sides on day 15 and then do X O turn once a day. So question is, how do I hand turn keeping the eggs upright?

Do I tilt the egg container side to side, how many times per day?

Little Pip is growing so quickly! She/he is 17 days old today.
I keep analyzing her trying to work out what sex she is but I really have no idea lol. It's hard with her being the only duckling so I can't compare to anything else and me still not being very experienced with bubba ducks makes it harder. PRAYING she's a girl so I can keep her.
Pip is beautiful

big_smile.png
I've read Yinepu's wonderful guide but I'm still nervous. I set my shipped eggs on Thursday and I haven't touched them. I set them upright in a cardboard egg container in my incubator and I'm going to weigh them so that I can judge how they're developing. Humidity is low at 23% *edit* just re-read the guide and it says not to move them for weighing*

What I'm unsure of is, how do I turn them? When hatching chicken eggs I do the O and X turn odd number of times a day. Per Yinepu's instructions you only lay them on their sides on day 15 and then do X O turn once a day. So question is, how do I hand turn keeping the eggs upright?

I would PM Yunepu and ask all these questions since she/he is the experienced one. and good luck with your eggs/ducklings

big_smile.png

I had similar questions and did message Yinepu and never got a response so I will try and help you with what I learned during my hatch. I set shipped eggs as well and you leave them alone for the first 15 days. I did weigh them before I put them in and weighed them at 15 days. They should have lost 5.6% of their weight in two weeks since they lose 2.3% a week.

As far as turning goes Yinepu's guide is based on having a turner in the incubator to start turning the eggs after 48 hours. If you don't have a turner and are using egg cartons the easiest way would be to tip the incubator by putting something under it if you don't want to open it up. Or you can open it and tip each egg carton. I would do it at least 3 times a day.

The X and O on the eggs is an extra turning done once a day. I did it when I misted my eggs. I laid my eggs down on the egg turner on their sides. You could do the same thing by laying them down in your egg cartons. Keep them somewhat at an angle so that the side with the air cell is a little higher if you can but if you can't laying it on it's side seems to work well too. When you do your cooling off and misting time change which letter is facing up. If O is up put X up and try to do it the same time each day.

Hopefully this helps. We just got 7 out of 11 eggs to hatch so the guide works.

I had similar questions and did message Yinepu and never got a response so I will try and help you with what I learned during my hatch. I set shipped eggs as well and you leave them alone for the first 15 days. I did weigh them before I put them in and weighed them at 15 days. They should have lost 5.6% of their weight in two weeks since they lose 2.3% a week.

As far as turning goes Yinepu's guide is based on having a turner in the incubator to start turning the eggs after 48 hours. If you don't have a turner and are using egg cartons the easiest way would be to tip the incubator by putting something under it if you don't want to open it up. Or you can open it and tip each egg carton. I would do it at least 3 times a day.

The X and O on the eggs is an extra turning done once a day. I did it when I misted my eggs. I laid my eggs down on the egg turner on their sides. You could do the same thing by laying them down in your egg cartons. Keep them somewhat at an angle so that the side with the air cell is a little higher if you can but if you can't laying it on it's side seems to work well too. When you do your cooling off and misting time change which letter is facing up. If O is up put X up and try to do it the same time each day.

Hopefully this helps. We just got 7 out of 11 eggs to hatch so the guide works.

Thank you so much! At what day did you start cooling and misting and doing XO? Day 15? I've had good success hatching chicken eggs but I'm a nervous first time duck hatcher.

Back
Top Bottom