Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

Ugh I'm so bummed. I candied my eggs at 7 days and only 4 show any signs of developing. That's a really bad result out of 14 eggs. Several have half blood rings and others show nothing. Think I should complain to the ebay seller?

Complain for what? If these are shipped eggs and half are developing your DOING excellent. Shipped eggs take a really hard toll on them. I really don't see what you could complain about they sell you fertiled eggs, you got fertiled eggs. It's your risk on how many actually hatches not the ebayer. I'm sorry but I'm a seller and it's not our job to make sure they all hatch. It's our job to make sure your eggs get there safely and fertiled. Sounds like that's exactly what you got and with a bonus because half your order is showing signs of life I would be estatic not disappointed.

Many peafowl breeders won't ship eggs because of the issues getting them to hatch. Truth be told, I would never buy eggs that had to be shipped. The ones I got were part of a trade, so all I had to pay for was shipping.

Not saying people shouldn't buy shipped eggs, just that I won't.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Shipped eggs are fine to get as long as you do some research first. For instance , I'm in ohio so if someone buys eggs and they live in New York it's not to bad of a trip it's quick and easy so resting the eggs for a day won't hurt, however if you have a buyer in California one day of rest isn't going to cut it. Give them two or three days it helps a lot. The longed the distance the longer resting time they need. Buyers should give it a shot and see if it makes. Different. Another factor is they have to package them sercurely this is the most importantl thing when shipping eggs. Make sure those eggs aren't wiggling around because then they will need more time to rest.

Shipped eggs are a risk and it's important to know this.

Complain for what? If these are shipped eggs and half are developing your DOING excellent. Shipped eggs take a really hard toll on them. I really don't see what you could complain about they sell you fertiled eggs, you got fertiled eggs. It's your risk on how many actually hatches not the ebayer. I'm sorry but I'm a seller and it's not our job to make sure they all hatch. It's our job to make sure your eggs get there safely and fertiled. Sounds like that's exactly what you got and with a bonus because half your order is showing signs of life I would be estatic not disappointed.

I completely agree with what Lacrystol is saying.
Home laid muscovy eggs are hard enough to get right. Having 50% success at this stage with shipped eggs is AWESOME!
Don't be bummed. Just focus on the healthy ones and before you know it you'll be a proud bator parent :)

Young Pip is 3 & 1/2 weks old now and I'm loving the dark spots coming through on the back of her/his neck.
Neither of the parents had a fully dark head so i find it quite intriguing.
I'm also still thinking Pip looks like a girl so I'm stoked about that too!
So in love with her and amazed by her instincts. She was hatched in the bator and lives in a brooder in the loungeroom. She spends her nights cuddled up on the couch or under my hair and yet the several times a day I take her outside to learn to be a duck she just knows what to do. Amazing little creatures and completely worth the assisted hatch :)

Last edited:

I don't think I would call 4 viable eggs out of 14 excellent. It' sure is a big risk for the buyers of shipped eggs and we do take that risk willingly, but I think a little sympathy can be shown for buyers who pay for eggs and shipping and in the end get a disappointing hatch result. You're a seller and your get your money no matter if your eggs hatch or not. That's by far the best end of the deal.

Back
Top Bottom