Incubator for Goose Eggs

doggydr

In the Brooder
May 5, 2020
I am having some goose eggs shipped and have 2 incubators fired up. Hovabator Genesis 1588 and a Nuture rite 360. I just bought an goose size autoturner insert for the Nurture Right. The Genesis comes with an auto turner. I have poured over the directions for goose egg incubation on this site ( from Pete55) and my questions are...

Should I use the Nurture Right or Genesis?
Will the Genesis 1588 auto turner work on Goose eggs?
Is it better to auto turn or hand turn?
Which is better at controlling temp and humidity?

My last efforts at hatching I used the Genesis but it involved eggs that arrived with horrible detached air cells and a batch I picked up but I think none were fertile as they did not even start to develop. Oh well.....I am an eternal optimist!!!
My breed is Sebastopol, I know they are difficult to hatch.
They should arrive Tuesday...( Monday is a holiday, doggone it!!!)

I have no experience with incubators as I use my bantams to hatch, even my goose eggs. Did your eggs arrive?

Coming today...doggone it they sat in the post office all day yesterday! I am on a Sebastopol fb page and got some leads there....saying a prayer....it's kind of amazing how you can actually get attached to EGGS while you are incubating them!!!

I went on etsy last year and ordered a goose insert for my nurture 360 incubators. Also have a 2 inch riser to use in the incubators because once the goslings hatch they are rather tall and they repeatedly bump their little heads on the top of the incubator lid. Ouch!

2 developed, ....They made it to pipping and both pipped on the wrong end. I panicked and I picked at the shell so they would not turn and block the hole. I blame myself and they did not make it. I cried for days. I think I killed them. I feel like I need forgiveness for this from someone. I wish I would not have intervened.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I had that happen a couple of time when I was new to hatching. It is really crushing to think about it. Just remind yourself that there is a reason for everything and hopefully you learned some important lessons for next time. There are a couple sites that I keep handy to stop me from doing the wrong thing:

https://www.raising-ducks.com/when-assist-hatching/

It is for ducks, but the interactive quiz program has kept me out of trouble several times.
Also, review Pete55's amazing article:
Thread 'Goose Incubation & Hatching Guide - Completed!!!!'
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/

It will get better with time. I learned last year that the best thing to do when panicking is to leave the egg alone and pick up the iphone and research. Hatching isn't easy. Even the most experienced lose some and just remember if one doesn't make it FOR ANY REASON, it was not meant to be.

Realize your mistakes and become a more experienced hatcher next time.

It's okay and tomorrow will be better.

2 developed, ....They made it to pipping and both pipped on the wrong end. I panicked and I picked at the shell so they would not turn and block the hole. I blame myself and they did not make it. I cried for days. I think I killed them. I feel like I need forgiveness for this from someone. I wish I would not have intervened.
I know how difficult and deeply disappointing incubation can be, and it's particularly difficult with shipped eggs. As a very experienced hatcher of multiple species of fowl, I can tell you from my own experience that even goslings that manage to pip on their own sometimes still die in shell, with or without intervention. With malpositions like yours, I would have tried to assist, too. Over the years, I've learned a great deal about when and how to assist, but when you're new to it, all you can do is your best as you continue to learn and refine your techniques.

It sounds to me like you did your best to try to achieve a good outcome for those poor shipped eggs. Shipping is extremely hard on heavy goose eggs, and you should be proud that you managed to get them so close to the finish line. It also sounds like the person you need forgiveness from is you, and I hope you know you deserve it. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom