Incubator off all night! Eggs cold! Are they ok?? Yes!! My story to help others

First of all thanks a lot txflowers for this magic post..you have saved my chicks as well as my mind..
Same thing happened to me on 15th day of incubation at my homemade incubator.
We had to go outside for the whole day to visit our family on the occasion of bihu. Well it's an Assamese festival. I'm from India. So my dad wanted me to cut out the electricity to avoid short circuit as it was storming outside. And I had to connect my incubator in a plug where inverter connection was not available. I was worried the whole day if the electricity goes off what's gonna happen to my eggs..and that's happened what I was expecting. The incubator was off the whole day for 10 hrs. I lost all of my hopes. Shouted at them like you people ruined my eggs..and started surfing the internet and got this post.
Then I thought ya they must get another chance. Atleat I can see. So I connected my incubator back. And today I'm so happy seeing 5 of my babies breaking the outer cell of the eggs. Yeah it does happen. Thanks a lot again txflowers for saving them. Today is day 17 and I'm seeing 5 of the eggs are hatching out of 14. And also my regards to this beautiful page. Thank you.
I hope this post gonna help a lot of people around the world like us.

Last edited:
Oh wow! Thanks heaps to Backyard chickens (because I have learned so much about chicken raising & you too Denise. I'm new to hatching (in the nest) & was mortified to find an egg out of the nest this morning. It's in its 3rd week so I was pretty upset for " the dead chick" inside the shell. I came straight to Backyard Chickens & saw your post. Egg is now back under mum (with a wee mark on it just in case she kicked it out on purpose). Thanks to your story, my panic is gone lol.

This post is still helping! We got a cold spell and the temp in my incubator dropped to 98 overnight and I'm still working on getting it back up. I can see now that I don't need to be so worried. I have read elsewhere on BYC, as well as other places, that even a one degree difference can make a huge difference in hatch rate, so I've been pretty concerned. I love in an older home that fluctuates quite a bit in temp. I've used our bedroom for incubator before, and didn't really have issues. The kitchen must be draftier as I've had difficulty in regulating the temp evenly. Glad I read this!

I don't have an incubator myself (yet), currently letting my hen sit on hers (1st batch) but this was an amazing story! Just goes to show that what's meant to be is meant to be :) x

i live in a heated area where it gets to 40 degrees in summer and for the last two days ive been worried that my chicks were going to be under nourished from the power being turned off from 9.00am to 3.00pm but since the hatching the chicks have started to hatch and none of them have had any problems

This might be an old thread but thank you for sharing your story! I have 16 goose eggs in my incubator and accidentally it was turned off last night. It has been off for about 10 hours. I went into panic. I have turned it back on and it got to temperature in half an hour. It wasn't a particularly cold night so I have everything crossed that they will be OK. They are only on day 4. Cant believe this has happened. I have been trying to get goose eggs for 2 years!

This might be an old thread but thank you for sharing your story! I have 16 goose eggs in my incubator and accidentally it was turned off last night. It has been off for about 10 hours. I went into panic. I have turned it back on and it got to temperature in half an hour. It wasn't a particularly cold night so I have everything crossed that they will be OK. They are only on day 4. Cant believe this has happened. I have been trying to get goose eggs for 2 years!

Hello Rosemary!
Welcome to backyard chickens. Will keep my fingers crossed for you! There are some very knowledgeable folks here with great advice and we can all help cheer you on. Perhaps others can chime in here. I encourage you to go to find your state thread and post to the new member thread. @KikisGirls @Happy Chooks @Teila and other mods can give you the tour. Welcome!

TXflowers: Thanks so much for posting this! The same thing just happened to me. The incubator had just 5 days left to go with 14 of our rare breed babies in it yesterday and someone unplugged it in the morning and I didn't notice till this morning. The eggs were all cold - reading @69 degrees. I was scared. I plugged it back in immediately. Then got on the net and found yor post. Thank you for relating this and my fingers are crossed!

I have a hen that's sitting on 4 eggs, but she keeps hopping nests! I think one of the other girls gets in her box when she goes to stretch her legs and she just decides to sit on different eggs. I don't know how long she was off this time, but the outside temp was about 33 degrees and the eggs were cold. I will try to candle when they warm up, but do I have any hope of them surviving?

Back
Top Bottom