Incubator pros and cons

lareynadenada

Songster
8 Years
Nov 29, 2011
Blackfoot Idaho
I am ready to buy an incubator,,,,,,,,,,,I have a borrowed one (LG) that I had one successful hatch with this spring, then total failure this month. We think we figured it out, when we used it this spring we weren't usin the A/C in the house. So the temp would be fine when we went to bed then we would get up to 105 degrees in bator. Well we figured out that the ac was drawing a lot of power
then at night the power would o to normal and voila
fried eggs!

Anyway, I think the brinsea has a better thermostat Is that true? I thought I read that it was self-adjusting. Any better bators out there?

HELP!!

I really can't help you on that, but I did just buy my 1st. incubator last night off of Amazon. Its a Farm Innovators model 4200 for 117.00 shipping paid. I just have to wait a while. It will be delivered next week. I can't wait to use it! :)

Hope you get some answers soon.

I have a Brinsea Mini Advance incubator and love it. It keeps rock solid temps and holds humidity well. I dont like having to take the whole top off to do anything inside but it recovers quickly and at lockdown I only have to fill the water resevoirs once so no need to open again. The only other drawback is the size....lol I still use it for small hatches as I have made my own mini wine fridgabator. I have used the styrofoam LG and like it but kind of awkward and crude controls after using the "high-tech" Brinsea. Best of luck and happy hatching

Okay, I want an update.
smile.png
Did you end up buying the Brinsea? I think I'm going to wait for a broody hen. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Hey!

Okay, maybe i'm giddy since I'm in the middle of hatch day (lol) but i bought the Brinsea Mini Eco (i just wanted something small...it fits ten chicken eggs)...and incubated 8 eggs from my mixed flock...total success...all eight hatched...although, the this model has a small, manual temp adjust on the back of the unit it still keeps the temp you set like a champ...i never had ANY spikes and, even though my dog ended up knocking the A/C unit out of the wall during the night so the temp dropped about five degrees before i noticed, I've had complete and total success. There's no humidity monitor either, at least on this unit, but i just followed the manufacturer's advice for chickens...now on hatch day, no dried out membranes...if anything it seems the humidity is a little high (although the chickies dont seem to mind i have feeling that silky down is going to take awhile to dry out :). Also, I did turn the eggs daily...up until two days before hatching...since the unit doesnt turn them for you and, even though i had to take the top of the unit off each time, no problems...

I'm in love so i say...anything Brinsea...go for it!!

Courtney

I bought the Brinsea Eco 20, and am on day 5, it holds 24 chicken eggs but I am only incubating 6. So I emailed the manufacture on their Facebook page and asked if I needed to change the settings from what is in the booklet. He said I did and gave me instructions for setting 6 eggs. I did them to the letter and so far all 6 are developing and alive. I am experimenting and used 4 eggs stored at room temp and 2 from the refrigerator. As of last night all are well. The temp has been steady at 99.5, I add water to one well every other day.

Back
Top Bottom