Incubator Recommendations

mochicken

Songster
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
NW Missouri
I have a small flock ( 25 chickens, mix of brown layers and silkies ) as well as Coturnix quail. I have been using a Janoel incubator that I borrowed from my uncle and then using a LG incubator as a hatcher. I am going to be giving my uncle back his incubator soon so I thought it would be a good time to buy a decent one.

Some of the models I have looked at are the

Brinsea Octagon 20
Sportsman 1202
Dickey 2x2

I do not hatch ALOT of eggs at a time but right now I have 18 chicken eggs, 12 turkey eggs, and 75 quail eggs. That is not a normal hatch for me, I usually hatch 24 or so quail or maybe 24-36 chicken eggs. I know the Brinsea would give me limitations on size and also hard to hatch in so I would still have to use the LG which I am trying to get away from.

I have also considered building a wood cabinet one but I would really like to buy one that looks nice and functions well from the getgo instead of experimenting

The way I see it - if you're gonna go for it then really go for it! I just did. The step up from the sportsman 1202 is the 1502. $100 bucks more gets you full on digital systems! Both have the same capacity!

I would go with the Dickeys 2X2. You can communicate directly with the owner who makes the cabinets. He has answered the phone everytime I called except for once. I left a message and he called me right back.

He has been making the incubators for ever I think. I have an incubator and a hatcher side by side and I love them. I have also offered to hatch eggs for people and have someone coming out today to bring eggs to hatch. I charge $1.00 per egg and then $1.00 per chick that hatches. Its not alot but it fills the extra space I have and helps pay the electricity.

So what I am saying is go with Dickeys, you can always fill the space and they are really great incubators. Be sure to get the clear plexi door upgrade because you are going to want to sit infront of it and stare all day on hatching day. They are made of real wood which holds humidity great. They are easy as can be to clean, and look like pieces of furniture sorta.

Here are mine so you can see how nice they look. Eventually I am going to stack mine on top of each other so I can have part of my dining room back.

Lanae

I am sorry I didnt update, I have ended up buying a 1202 ( I think ) GQF, it has the 3 turner trays and an electronic thermostat with a wafer backup. I actually bought a hatcher from the same guy with 5 trays and room for 2 more, its the same specs as the GQF hatcher so it is almost identical to my GQF incubator as far as setting it up, already hatched some coturnix in it and I have an variety pack of eggs in the incubator now, some will be hitting the hatcher soon

Congratulations, on your GQFs. The cabinet incubators are always the way to go if you can swing the cost. Everyone always say " Oh I am not going to be hatching that many", but you will be surprised at how addicting it becomes very quickly.

Lanae

Yeah its pretty addictive lol, I am also hatching for my cousin for ducks and turkeys but I have about 250 eggs in there now with quail, silkies, buckeyes, and amaraucana eggs

Back
Top Bottom