Incubators Anonymous

A whole passel of duckies babies
20180227_195439.jpg

I accidentally won some chicks. Silly me, thought they were day old chicks. They were 2 weeks old. That messes up my plan to merge the ones that hatched yesterday/today into the same brooder. I have 1 of my heat plates at a school I helped hatch eggs, my second is with the 2 week old chicks, my 3rd has a loose wire, and I haven't gotten my brother to fix it (he does electrical stuff for a living). Those chicks are going to have to stay in the incubator for another 24 hours. I'll try to find a broody hen today to take these wee ones. I have NO idea other than 1 ayam cemani chick in the 12 two week olds. There are 3 yellow, 2 penguin looking, 1 blue and a few others. But I know what hatched! 1 Frizzled OE, 1 Orust, 1 BLRW, 1 Blue/Black Silkie, 4 F4 OEs and 4 Maran - I think they are Blue Birchen, but some are blue and some are black chicks. I still have 4 Maran eggs that haven't done anything. I have WAY too many chicks.

I accidentally won some chicks. Silly me, thought they were day old chicks. They were 2 weeks old. That messes up my plan to merge the ones that hatched yesterday/today into the same brooder. I have 1 of my heat plates at a school I helped hatch eggs, my second is with the 2 week old chicks, my 3rd has a loose wire, and I haven't gotten my brother to fix it (he does electrical stuff for a living). Those chicks are going to have to stay in the incubator for another 24 hours. I'll try to find a broody hen today to take these wee ones. I have NO idea other than 1 ayam cemani chick in the 12 two week olds. There are 3 yellow, 2 penguin looking, 1 blue and a few others. But I know what hatched! 1 Frizzled OE, 1 Orust, 1 BLRW, 1 Blue/Black Silkie, 4 F4 OEs and 4 Maran - I think they are Blue Birchen, but some are blue and some are black chicks. I still have 4 Maran eggs that haven't done anything. I have WAY too many chicks.
I might be a little better..... I hatched ducks Tuesday (8) and sent the 10 chicks I hatched wed with a friend. Then I got my special order of 53 chicks that the co-op ordered In for me.. I still have 45, including one turkey, out in the grow out pen.....ugh glad I love the little fluff butts

I was just informed today that it's that time of year at the feed mill again. They give free chicks for certain bags of feed purchased. I'm not doing meaties this year so I'm going to just get layers and sell them all lol. It's either 5 CX chicks for each bag of feed you get or 3 RSL chicks for each bag purchased over the next 2 months....I'm going to be bringing home at least 40 RSL chicks in May lol

Our first eggs are in our incubator ... 8 Ancona duck eggs that were shipped to us in OK from NC. We have been watching them very closely and are now beginning day 8 of incubation and all 8 eggs are healthy with developing baby ducks and lots of veins inside! We also are picking up 6 Muscovy eggs at a local hatchery in our state on March 20th! I may be investing in a 2nd incubator already! My name is Shelly and I have an incredible excitement about incubating and hatching babies! ;)

I was just informed today that it's that time of year at the feed mill again. They give free chicks for certain bags of feed purchased. I'm not doing meaties this year so I'm going to just get layers and sell them all lol. It's either 5 CX chicks for each bag of feed you get or 3 RSL chicks for each bag purchased over the next 2 months....I'm going to be bringing home at least 40 RSL chicks in May lol
I would love to live near a feed mill. No such luck. Not for the free chicks, more for the lower (or no) delivery fee for feed.

I have shipped orpington eggs going in the bator tonight. I believe they are splash, blue and possible lavender. They also sent me two bonus blue birchen marans eggs :) Next week, I have chocolate orpington eggs coming lol. The week after it will be seramas and the week after that, turkens lol. I've discovered that people love to trade for muscovy duck eggs (Facebook egg swap group). Since I don't hatch mine, they're quite the bargaining chip!

I have shipped orpington eggs going in the bator tonight. I believe they are splash, blue and possible lavender. They also sent me two bonus blue birchen marans eggs :) Next week, I have chocolate orpington eggs coming lol. The week after it will be seramas and the week after that, turkens lol. I've discovered that people love to trade for muscovy duck eggs (Facebook egg swap group). Since I don't hatch mine, they're quite the bargaining chip!

Getting any royal palm eggs yet?? :pop

Getting any royal palm eggs yet?? :pop

My palm girl isn't laying yet. So far, I know I have a Bourbon red girl laying, a mottled black, and occasionally my bronze girl. I'm hoping everyone steps it up soon!

ETA-my tri colored blue penciled palm boy has been getting more active around the ladies lately. I'm not sure if he's getting the opportunity to mate yet or not but the variety of colors that he can create with them is through the roof!

Back
Top Bottom