Incubators Anonymous

Pics
And with the guinea pig cage brooder do you have problems with melting or finding a place to hang the light
nope, it is coated metal i set the lamp right on top of it, though i dont use a heat bulb for long because it is in my basement, after about a week i switch to a 75w incandescent

I have faced up to the fact that I have hatched out too many chicks this year. (And bought too many :oops:) I have about 15 Black Langshans overcrowding my grow out pen that I can't seem to move and 8 turkey poults outgrowing my brooder that need the grow out pen. But I can't turn my incubator off yet because there are 12 more turkeys due to hatch in the next couple of weeks. I thought about euthanizing all those eggs, but the idea of that repulses me. In the past, my poults have sold very quickly, so I had no qualms about incubating them as long as the hens kept laying. But now I am starting to get worried about too many birds.

That's great to know! Of course, at a higher price than before, which we all knew would happen when the government decided to ban them. And I'm sure they still burn out just as fast, but at least it's nice to be able to get some somewhere.

Edited to add: I don't know if anyone saw it before I deleted it, but my phone had a major glitch and wouldn't submit my post, and when it finally went through, there were about a dozen duplicates! Nice that we can delete those on the new format!

The problem with high altitude hatching is insufficient oxygen which is seen as elevated carbon dioxide levels. There is an old thread about hatching at high altitude.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hatching-at-high-altitude.194395/
I did read that thread after I made this post and I found this link http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/2908/incubating-eggs-at-high-altitudes/ most helpful. I suspect that correcting the humidity, and running higher than most people at lower elevations do, will have a positive affect on my hatching. I am on day 16 of my first trial batch running the humidity at 50% for the first 18 days and then I will be sure to bump the humidity to 65% at lockdown. So far My air cells look much better this round, not too big.

Ok I jumped the ball and went into lockdown on day 17..... I moved the eggs that are not as far along into my new bator and locked down 18 eggs in my older bator. When I candled I saw 2 that were questionable but left them in just in case. All the rest look promising..... now the wait.

Back
Top Bottom