Incubators Anonymous

I have an internal pip! I can hear peeping in the bator. We'll see what happens!

Are you hearing those other voices still too?

th76767.jpg

I just posted an article on Humidity in the Learning Center. I'm not trolling for "likes" or ratings, would just appreciate if you other hatch-a-holics could read over it and let me know if you see anything incorrect or bad, etc.... suggestions welcome.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubation-humidity.73386/

:bow
Nice but your implication that zero humidity is impossible to attain is incorrect. If you live in an area with naturally low humidity to start (less than 10% humidity in the house during winter months here) it is very easy to drive an incubator to 0% humidity if no water is added.

When speaking about hygrometers, I like to point out that the cheap hygrometers often have a low limit of 20% that is as low as they will display irregardless of how low the humidity actually is.

I also tend to point out that even though a person does calibrate their hygrometer using NaCl to the 75% mark that it does not mean that their hygrometer will be accurate at 30%. There is a table around that lists different salts and their humidity points. At least one company sells a kit or at least the salts to check hygrometer accuracy at both 75% and around 30% (can't remember exactly the lower number and too lazy to look up it or the company).

Nice but your implication that zero humidity is impossible to attain is incorrect. If you live in an area with naturally low humidity to start (less than 10% humidity in the house during winter months here) it is very easy to drive an incubator to 0% humidity if no water is added.

When speaking about hygrometers, I like to point out that the cheap hygrometers often have a low limit of 20% that is as low as they will display irregardless of how low the humidity actually is.

I also tend to point out that even though a person does calibrate their hygrometer using NaCl to the 75% mark that it does not mean that their hygrometer will be accurate at 30%. There is a table around that lists different salts and their humidity points. At least one company sells a kit or at least the salts to check hygrometer accuracy at both 75% and around 30% (can't remember exactly the lower number and too lazy to look up it or the company).

Great points. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom