Incubators Anonymous

Year 17 of hen addiction and it’s a cycle of escalation ...went from a couple of rescue hens, to buying POL , couple of years ago I started with the day old chicks...now progressed to a chicktec inca incubator..trying to resist urge to purchase another I cubator!
My obsession is coloured eggs and deepening the colour and creating new colours ...just had my first grey egg!
There is no help for OCD (obsessive chicken disorder) ...but it’s nice to know I’m not alone in this addiction...
Heres my next batch having a rest before going into the snug incubator for a Easter weekend hatch! And as it’s snowy here in Derbyshire ..well who doesn’t build snowhens!
108EF425-0975-4F8B-9473-B192A3FA1BB5.jpeg C0AB3C1F-FF0A-44DC-83DE-26C8BB87DEE8.jpeg 567BA16A-423A-4382-920F-DC65F2A74E12.jpeg

Year 17 of hen addiction and it’s a cycle of escalation ...went from a couple of rescue hens, to buying POL , couple of years ago I started with the day old chicks...now progressed to a chicktec inca incubator..trying to resist urge to purchase another I cubator!
My obsession is coloured eggs and deepening the colour and creating new colours ...just had my first grey egg!
There is no help for OCD (obsessive chicken disorder) ...but it’s nice to know I’m not alone in this addiction...
Heres my next batch having a rest before going into the snug incubator for a Easter weekend hatch! And as it’s snowy here in Derbyshire ..well who doesn’t build snowhens!
View attachment 1287961 View attachment 1287962 View attachment 1287963
Beautiful!

Yup :) trying to get a decent sized flock going. Right now I've only got 3 pet quality buckeye hens, 1 show quality buckeye hen, 1 show quality buckeye roo, 2 show quality chantecler hens and 1 show quality chantecler roo. Here's hoping I can get some SOP birds from this year's hatch.

Hatch ALOT of chicks! It’s the best way to get good birds.

I've got white... they're so sweet. I hope to get PC in a year or two.
The buckeyes are standoffish but not unfriendly. No stinkeye.

My Buckeyes are up in your face and chewing on your hands until they get a treat.. The males are great too but don’t bite..

Hatch ALOT of chicks! It’s the best way to get good birds.

My Buckeyes are up in your face and chewing on your hands until they get a treat.. The males are great too but don’t bite..

Liar, liar...liar!!

The buckeye I got from him scares me...I am even askeered to reach into the cage...He has terrible stink eye!
Are you finally getting Toad eggs?

I get a toad egg every couple days. I am going to move the Buckeye back in with the girls. I am not sure he was eating the eggs now. I think they are just not laying a lot. Toads can be finicky. I am thinking of putting him outside with all the toad girls and moving the toad roosters to another pen.

Some of the toad roosters might make a trip to the pressure cooker too. I just hate to short myself on roosters because of how "tricky" they can be to stay alive.

I figure as soon as I cull down to two roosters they will both die and I lose the genetics I have worked so many years to 'make".

Back
Top Bottom