Incubators Anonymous

I did 2 hatches of quail. The first set hatched and I started a second, then my husband’s appendix ruptured, he had emergency surgery and was laid up for months. we hadn’t finished the quail pens and I was taking care of him so I gave away or sold all the chicks. Such fun to watch hatch.
View attachment 1453359
:hugs
I've had times in life like that too. That's why I always have a list of volunteers willing to take chicks if I need to lighten my load. My safety net just in case I (or more often my kids) take on too much.

I'm sure your DH appreciated your sacrifice and there are always more eggs.

:hugs
I've had times in life like that too. That's why I always have a list of volunteers willing to take chicks if I need to lighten my load. My safety net just in case I (or more often my kids) take on too much.

I'm sure your DH appreciated your sacrifice and there are always more eggs.

I could have finished the cages on my own, but he would have been watching and wanting to help, or worse....trying to tell me how to do it right. :D
I still may do some again at some point. Quail eggs are pretty plentiful here.

So here is the one turkey that survived from my June 28th hatch
20180704_083704-1.jpg
and here is the baby that hatched over night
20180704_082810.jpg
one hatched out of 6..... still trying to dial in my hatching bator

My last big hatch of the season is almost done. Technically, it's not THAT big of a hatch since I've had MUCH bigger hatches but for this time of the year, it's a good sized hatch. The count so far is 16 chicks from a friend eggs. I'll be giving him 14 back and keeping the two Showgirls that hatched lol. There are 8 light brahmas and 4 turkey poults. There are still 4 turkey eggs in the hatcher with 3 of them pipped and about 8 silkie and Brahma eggs but I think I've gotten all that I'm getting from them. I have 1 more hatch due next week and then that's it. My incubator will be empty.

MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1530912880606.jpg_1530912883993.jpeg

Last edited:
Sadly we took extra care of all but 1 cage - somehow I forgot to adjust for the heat on my 6 little babies I just hatched a few weeks ago. 4 died....I'm sad..... bad animal care.....

@Jessimom they look like boys to me but I don't have a while lot of experience with polish.

My incubators are officially empty and shut down. No more hatches for a while now.
Wow I keep hearing stories that you are supposed to do that..... maybe I will try it later this fall.... I still have chickens and turkeys brooding so they don't count right?

Wow I keep hearing stories that you are supposed to do that..... maybe I will try it later this fall.... I still have chickens and turkeys brooding so they don't count right?

Nope that doesn't count! I have 3 broody turkeys raising out 2 poults, a broody hen during on air (I'm going to end up giving in), and a broody duck, determined to keep some eggs lol. They don't follow our plans!

Yeah, I'm in a little trouble. I probably should have turned off my incubators. All spring & Summer, every time I set eggs I had a hen go broody before the hatch. Easy adoptions & some easy chick sales without much work.

Well, I don't have any broody volunteers & up to 3 doz eggs may hatch Wed-Thurs. GULP! I think I'm going to have to brooder raise them! The most recent broody has 2 week old chicks, so I'm sure she'd notice the difference......

Back
Top Bottom