Incubators Anonymous

The eggs are right against her skin & not just under her. I believe the humidity does increase for the eggs at that time, but I never actually put a hygrometer under her to measure it. The hen also "talks" to her eggs to encourage & bond with her babies, but our incubator eggs have always hatched whether my kids talked to them or not. LOL

Hens have no thermometers, hygrometers, or calenders to track development. They just know when to stop turning and sit tight on their eggs until their clutch is done hatching. They are very serious those last couple days.
That should be your next assignment then, would be nice to actually know how much humidity is under the hen when nearing hatch date!

You could always add a wet sponge to raise it when you need to. If your air cells look good I wouldn't worry too much!
I'm so sorry for the loss :( Maybe you'll get one just like him!

X2 lol
I am hopeful for lots of Nn babies and would love to see all colors! I am hoping to see his size and nice straight comb come thru on his offspring. Time will tell but I believe he carried a darker brown egg gene, I think he was half wellsummer. I know the standard for Turkens calls for a light brown but I Love a colorful egg basket. And besides if I can satisfy all my wants with variations of one breed that makes life a little easier, right?

But.... what is the humidity under a broody hen though? I mean, I don't get it..... do we really need high humidity for hatching because I highly doubt eggs under a hen gets to 70% or 80% or whatever ridiculously high percentage humidity that is recommended and they all hatch fine! I think people just overdo things in this world, that's my take on it. And over-exaggerate when it comes to certain things.

I’ve heard that darker eggs are better at handling lower humidity, even during hatch. And if that’s as high as you can get it, then see how it works out for you! Humidity is a variable we all have to fine tune for our own needs.

During humid summers here, I watched a broody get off of her eggs, while they were hatching! She laid beside them, not on top of them. It was the coolest thing to watch. That’s why I don’t think opening the incubator is an immediate shrink wrap situation for everyone. But for folks in dry areas, I could see it being a problem. I think low humidity throughout is a worse cause of shrink wrapping, and I also think that term gets thrown around more than is really true shrink wrap.

So unfortunately you will have to do some trial and error, and find out what works for you. Just my opinion.

Looks like I have to make one more set of eggs this Friday ... My showgirl started laying lol. Every time I think I'm going to shut the incubator back down, something else comes up!

One of my call ducks has started laying again. You know I’m going to have to incubate a few of them. :oops:
(Science...I need to see what she is throwing) :p

6 of 7 silkies hatched successfully :) My broody quit sitting but i managed to save one of her eggs. I'm not exactly sure when it's due though.... Sometime next week.

IMG_20180928_135010.jpg
IMG_20180928_134940.jpg

We had a silly silkie go broody in Nov. The hatch date = Dec 2. We gave away some of the chicks but kept 3 for her to raise.

We kept 2 seramas & a blue orpington
1a.jpg 2b.jpg blue1.jpg

Forget the partridge. For Christmas, we had a serama in a pine tree & a living Nativity in our family room.
Nativity 1.jpg IMG_4081 copy.jpg

Here they are now at 6 weeks
blue orp 1.jpg white 5.jpg chipmunk 1.jpg
family 2.jpg

The size difference of the siblings makes me giggle
1 week
orp vs serama 1 weekb.jpg
4 weeks
IMG_4157 copy.jpg
5 weeks
family 2.jpg

Back