Incubators Anonymous

Not sad at all! Congratulations!
Thank you! Three little nuggets so far!
20190215_095514.jpg

Since it’s just going to be a test run, I only loaded 51 eggs. Everything looks stable with the cabinet so far, so I’ll pop the tray in tomorrow, unless there are some huge fluctuations overnight. :fl
View attachment 1674792
Yes just a small test.... lol
I cant seem to talk myself out of putting the weeks worth of Turkey eggs in the bator..... I love seeing what hatches!

So, went to the Poultry Show and got some hatching eggs....Jubilee Orpingtons, Silver Laced Orpingtons and Blue Partridge Brahmas. They will go in with the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte’s! I over filled the bator by 10 eggs. I figured a lot of my own eggs may not be fertile. I only have 3 roosters to about 90 hens. I sold too many Roos last fall! I will be keeping about 3 more boys if I hatch out what I am looking for!

THEN, and don’t tell my DH, I put 20 eggs under some of my broodies! Hope he doesn’t notice!

So, went to the Poultry Show and got some hatching eggs....Jubilee Orpingtons, Silver Laced Orpingtons and Blue Partridge Brahmas. They will go in with the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte’s! I over filled the bator by 10 eggs. I figured a lot of my own eggs may not be fertile. I only have 3 roosters to about 90 hens. I sold too many Roos last fall! I will be keeping about 3 more boys if I hatch out what I am looking for!

THEN, and don’t tell my DH, I put 20 eggs under some of my broodies! Hope he doesn’t notice!

:clap

Well, Bummer! The BLRW eggs I got to incubate (at $55/dozen) are doing NOTHING! Not one has the first vein! Ugh! So sad. From the other eggs I got at the Poultry show, all 4 Silver Laced Orpingtons and doing great! 4 of the 6 Blue Partridge Brahmas are going, but none of the 3 Jubilee Orpingtons are doing anything. The lady I got them from is going to replace those next month. I offered her some of my fun funky hatching eggs from my own chicks as part of getting me new eggs (although she was replacing them anyway) and she is excited about those.

Well, Bummer! The BLRW eggs I got to incubate (at $55/dozen) are doing NOTHING! Not one has the first vein! Ugh! So sad. From the other eggs I got at the Poultry show, all 4 Silver Laced Orpingtons and doing great! 4 of the 6 Blue Partridge Brahmas are going, but none of the 3 Jubilee Orpingtons are doing anything. The lady I got them from is going to replace those next month. I offered her some of my fun funky hatching eggs from my own chicks as part of getting me new eggs (although she was replacing them anyway) and she is excited about those.

It's very unfortunate that the expensive BLRW eggs didn't develop. I've been there & had a 0% hatch on shipped eggs. Give them at least 10 days and be sure before tossing.

A few different orpington people I know have had some problems when hatching Jubilees. (obtained from different sources). Even when a friend was breeding & hatching her own, her hatch rate of the Jubilees was not as high as her other varieties of orps. The English bloodlines have a ton of butt fluff. Lots of regular trimming to keep up the fertility, but that doesn't explain why the Jubiliees are more difficult to incubate. I'm not sure why, but when candled, the Jubilee eggs I incubated seemed more porous. I was only able to hatch about 1/2.

Back
Top Bottom