Incubators Anonymous

I decided to do an eggtopsy on one of the quitters because it has two very separate dark spots rolling around. Inside was a mostly well formed head, but no body, only a blob of blood. This thing was hoping around in there a few days ago. How on earth did it have no body?
When in doubt, think Zombi's!

I had mentioned earlier that I had bought a dozen BLRW hatching eggs and none were fertile. I am excited to say that the seller was concerned and did his own test. He only had 2 fertile out of 10 eggs. He said he discovered his rooster had Pasty butt. Anyway, he is buying a new rooster that is a new bloodline and extremely high quality and once it gets past quarantine, and he gets him into action, he is going to replace my 12 eggs with 18! Yay! Very good ethics!

I had mentioned earlier that I had bought a dozen BLRW hatching eggs and none were fertile. I am excited to say that the seller was concerned and did his own test. He only had 2 fertile out of 10 eggs. He said he discovered his rooster had Pasty butt. Anyway, he is buying a new rooster that is a new bloodline and extremely high quality and once it gets past quarantine, and he gets him into action, he is going to replace my 12 eggs with 18! Yay! Very good ethics!

That's awesome!

Sweet!
(I’ve never seen a mating-age rooster have pasty butt) :hmm

Thats great! I had a similiar experience with duck eggs. Seller sent me replacements and these are doing great. Good luck with your hatch.

:ya

Question — I’m 2 weeks in to this first run in my cabinet. It’s an older GQF 1202. Humidity has been running really low (23%ish) so I added a bowl of water on the top shelf. Didn’t change much, so I added another on the bottom. They weren’t very big bowls, so I switched both out with round cake pans (9” diameter?) Got the humidity up to 33. I’m not so concerned about the number, and the air cells look ok, but I’m wondering how the heck I’m going to get it high enough for hatch time? I didn’t get a pan when I bought this thing used, what does everyone use? And is it just supposed to sit on the top shelf in front for the fan?

I could just hatch in my Octagons and Nurture Right, but figured I’d try the whole deal in the cabinet.
I found another clear egg, so I’m down to 40 :p

Question — I’m 2 weeks in to this first run in my cabinet. It’s an older GQF 1202. Humidity has been running really low (23%ish) so I added a bowl of water on the top shelf. Didn’t change much, so I added another on the bottom. They weren’t very big bowls, so I switched both out with round cake pans (9” diameter?) Got the humidity up to 33. I’m not so concerned about the number, and the air cells look ok, but I’m wondering how the heck I’m going to get it high enough for hatch time? I didn’t get a pan when I bought this thing used, what does everyone use? And is it just supposed to sit on the top shelf in front for the fan?

I could just hatch in my Octagons and Nurture Right, but figured I’d try the whole deal in the cabinet.
I found another clear egg, so I’m down to 40 :p

My old 1202 always runs humidity between 25-35%. Usually I hatch in a different bator but when I need to hatch in it, I remove the bottom incubation tray and put an ice cream bucket with water in the very bottom, an extra water bowl or two on the top shelf and close the top vent on the back of the bator. That usually bumps it up high enough to hatch.

My old 1202 always runs humidity between 25-35%. Usually I hatch in a different bator but when I need to hatch in it, I remove the bottom incubation tray and put an ice cream bucket with water in the very bottom, an extra water bowl or two on the top shelf and close the top vent on the back of the bator. That usually bumps it up high enough to hatch.

Perfect! Thank you! I may try that for day 18 and see how it goes. I’m glad you mentioned the vents too, I meant to ask, so I’ll do that too.
So you hatch on the middle and/or top racks?

Perfect! Thank you! I may try that for day 18 and see how it goes. I’m glad you mentioned the vents too, I meant to ask, so I’ll do that too.
So you hatch on the middle and/or top racks?

I only close the top vent, not the bottom. When I hatch in it, I have a basket that I set on the bottom on the floor and hatch in. I would be afraid hatching in the upper racks that babies might fall down in to the water bucket in the bottom. but then, I also usually have the racks filled with eggs still incubating lol.

I only close the top vent, not the bottom. When I hatch in it, I have a basket that I set on the bottom on the floor and hatch in. I would be afraid hatching in the upper racks that babies might fall down in to the water bucket in the bottom. but then, I also usually have the racks filled with eggs still incubating lol.

I made some tall dividers from that craft grid stuff for my trays, since I have several breeds in now, plus I wanted to keep the seramas and cochins from separate pens separated as they hatched. I figured I’d put a piece of hardwire cloth over the water on the bottom, just in case, but I made the walls about 4” high. I might even put a top on it, if I have enough grid left.

Not quite done yet.
733A5838-D07E-407C-8F3D-812146582905.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom