Incubators Anonymous

Day 25, two more eggs hatched this morning. One was from my broody so I expected it to possibly hatch late. The other was an original incubator egg. My easter egger silkies seem to develop slower and hatch later. One egg left. Looks like it's close to hatch from what I can see.

I have my first legbar of the year....finally..
a white one! I love my whites. 1A2170EA-F7EA-4AC9-B458-26AB6CFFE7E4.jpeg

Hello I am Josie and I love incubating eggs. I don't have the space or the know how to really do massive amounts of incubating though at some point I would love to do it and maybe sell either eggs or ducklings. Which by the way ducks are what I have the addiction to hatching.

I am currently getting back into building my flock after some issues back in January. I just got my first eggs today. Black East Indian Duck eggs. I am looking at maybe adding in some Welsh Harlequins for egg production, but now I am debating on if Cayuga would be better looks wise.

I am so excited to start again with my flock. I can't wait to see what the Black East Indian ducklings look like.

OK, I have a question about cleaning my Styrofoam incubator after use..... how do you guys clean and sterilize your incubators? Is there a good way to clean all the motor parts? I have been hatching for years and this is the part I don't like! Just wondering what you guys use or method. Thanks!

BTW, I just hatched 10 BLRW, 4 Black Orpingtons and 6 Lavender Orpingtons on Easter Sunday. 20 out of 24 eggs. I'm always sad when I lose them somewhere between lockdown and hatching! They even pipped internally, but not externally. Any suggestions on what may be wrong?

OK, I have a question about cleaning my Styrofoam incubator after use..... how do you guys clean and sterilize your incubators? Is there a good way to clean all the motor parts? I have been hatching for years and this is the part I don't like! Just wondering what you guys use or method. Thanks!

BTW, I just hatched 10 BLRW, 4 Black Orpingtons and 6 Lavender Orpingtons on Easter Sunday. 20 out of 24 eggs. I'm always sad when I lose them somewhere between lockdown and hatching! They even pipped internally, but not externally. Any suggestions on what may be wrong?

to clean my styro hatcher, I take it to the kitchen sink and spray it with burning hot water (bottom half anyway), then wipe it out with bleach water. Nothing fancy.

Anything could've happened to the ones that didn't hatch. They could've been too weak, ran out of air before pipping externally, etc. I always have a couple every week that will pip internally but never hatch. It just happens sometimes.

Similar to @Auroradream26, I wash out the bottom of the incubator (I soak it for a while in hot soapy water to loosen up the crusty stuff), then spray it down with (diluted) bleach water and leave the bottom, the plastic water tray, and the mesh piece in the sun to sanitize. For the top, I wipe the styrofoam, windows, and surfaces of plastic parts with an alcohol wipe (nothing should be able to drip into the motor/fan) and occasionally blow the fan area out with a can of compressed air.

Back
Top Bottom