Incubators Anonymous

Hey so I am not sure I am a total addict yet (haha), just on my 3rd hatch. However this is my first with my own eggs - the batches I set before were shipped eggs and I got measley hatch rates. So I set 9 (my incubator is small) and all 9 are on track to hatch on Sunday.

My birds are different breeds and I chose specific hens to try to get olive egger babies so I’m really keen to know which chick hatched out of which egg. I need to know who the mom is. I have no idea what these chicks will look like either - golden cuckoo Marans mom + Easter egger dad= ?? Also breeding blue cuckoo Marans mom and a few others of different breeds. It will be a motley crew.

Do you vets have any tricks to keep track of that? Any that persist into Monday I won’t see hatch and I really need to know who’s who so I can keep track of their genetics. I’m hoping to make reliable olive Eggers to sell but it might take a few generations so I really need accurate data.

Chicken math plus incubator addiction is real

I have one thing to comment on....when you use an EE to try to make OEs, you don't know the genetics of the rooster. He could be carrying a recessive white egg shell gene which means you won't get those olive greens. To make sure you get olives, you should choose a rooster who has the double copies of the blue shell genes. Those would be true Ameraucanas or Legbars. No matter what you breed these types of roosters with, you would get blue or green egg layers. The darker brown the hen lays, the darker greens you would get....so, yes, a Marans or Barndevelder or some Wellsummers for the hens would give you nice olive eggs. The Wellsummers would make some nice speckled olive eggs.
And, just FYI, there are only two egg SHELL colors....white and blue. All brown eggs are just a different amount of brown coating over a white shell. The brown coloring in the bloom is a by-product of the blood system. (Dried blood is brown) Depending on the breed of chicken, the amount of brown coating (by product) on the egg gives you your different shades of brown. All green eggs are that same brown coating (by product) over blue shelled eggs.
When thinking of colored egg genetics, you must first think of what colored egg shell your chicken has. Then, you go to the amount of brown coating your breed of chicken produces.
White and blue eggs have no brown coating (blood by product) in their bloom.

And, just FYI, there are only two egg SHELL colors....white and blue. All brown eggs are just a different amount of brown coating over a white shell. The brown coloring in the bloom is a by-product of the blood system. (Dried blood is brown) Depending on the breed of chicken, the amount of brown coating (by product) on the egg gives you your different shades of brown. All green eggs are that same brown coating (by product) over blue shelled eggs.
Blue eggs are created the same way that brown eggs are except the color agent oocyanin is deposited on the white egg shell earlier than the brown colors are and penetrates the white shell better than the brown colors do. Chemical analysis has proven that components of the brown colors do completely penetrate the white shell.

Blue eggs are created the same way that brown eggs are except the color agent oocyanin is deposited on the white egg shell earlier than the brown colors are and penetrates the white shell better than the brown colors do. Chemical analysis has proven that components of the brown colors do completely penetrate the white shell.
You can open any brown egg and the inside of the shell is still white

Joining in! I currently have two table top baters going with turkey eggs, mixes, and some blr wyandottes. Just put some silkies and a few mixes into lockdown.
View attachment 1751422
I have a lovely mixed carton I collected this week that I desperately want to incubate, but I can't. We will be out of town for the week they would fall due. I butchered the roos this week too. It's killing me!
View attachment 1751424
I won't be able to set anything else until the end of May now. I'll just have to live vicariously through you guys!
If those dark eggs mysteriously found their way to say... hmmmmm.... Becker... I bet they could hatch...

Welcome...... but this is not for those trying to kick the habit. LOL it's more those who need encouragement, enabling, and support from like-minded addicts. ie - How do you explain to your spouse that you NEED a second incubator to use as a hatcher? OR A logical explanation about how those mysterious eggs that found their way into your incubator.

Again welcome & join in on the fun!
You don’t. You just buy it and answer honestly when he asks it it is a different incubator. :)

Yep I know all of this. These are the birds I have so I’m experimenting. If I were really into selling I’d get a Welsummer or Marans roo over CCL hens. This is a bit of a science project for my daughter too :)
I have one thing to comment on....when you use an EE to try to make OEs, you don't know the genetics of the rooster. He could be carrying a recessive white egg shell gene which means you won't get those olive greens. To make sure you get olives, you should choose a rooster who has the double copies of the blue shell genes. Those would be true Ameraucanas or Legbars. No matter what you breed these types of roosters with, you would get blue or green egg layers. The darker brown the hen lays, the darker greens you would get....so, yes, a Marans or Barndevelder or some Wellsummers for the hens would give you nice olive eggs. The Wellsummers would make some nice speckled olive eggs.
When thinking of colored egg genetics, you must first think of what colored egg shell your chicken has. Then, you go to the amount of brown coating your breed of chicken produces.
White and blue eggs have no brown coating (blood by product) in their bloom.

You don’t. You just buy it and answer honestly when he asks it it is a different incubator. :)
Bad advice...

Honesty is over rated with incubators...

Try” I had eggs in the incubator and it stopped working, so I needed to get another to save the chicks”

I tried everything to fix it first..

Once I got all the eggs into the new one and spent more time with the old one..

I found it was a broken wire. So I tried taping it up and it is working for now...

Remember to wrap a gob of tape on some wire somewhere.

Much better story than honesty.

How bad is it that I set up a camera to watch for pips while I’m away? :oops: :lol:
4F8AEE17-82B2-465C-A9B5-E438B717923D.png

Back
Top Bottom