Incubators Anonymous

My grandpa built me a special coop with a built in brooder =D
I keep them inside for a week or two .. until they out grow the tote then keep them in the brooder part of the coop until they are feathered then move them to the coop part of it =) with a heat lamp they can go to anytime they get chilly
once they are all feathered in I move them to the other coop with the laying flock =)
my blue egg layers are actually the ones laying the most right now .. of the 20 ish layers I have ten are ee .. and I get at least 5 to 8 a day from them .. and im pretty sure two aren't even laying yet
plus all but one are pullets and just started over the last two months !

YAY!!!! Congrats
jumpy.gif
and good luck with your other eggs
fl.gif
What kind of chicks are you hatching to create your new flock?

Right now, I'm just trying to get the most colorful eggs I can. I had an EE roo, but I didn't find out until his daughters started laying green eggs!!!
ep.gif
But then laying slowed down and when it picked back up, the roo I'm going to be using for breeding started getting older and started mating with the hens, so I started hatching eggs fertilized by the EE like they were going out of style (b/c I had to get rid of him), so... Now, I only have three layers from him and one I just hatched and the two that just hatched, it looks like they're boys.
th.gif

But, DH said he'd order me some colorful egg layers when we order our spring chicks.
celebrate.gif

Next week is hatch week for me!!!!!

#cantwait...

Congrats!

I'm not into the hashtag thing.

Right now, I'm just trying to get the most colorful eggs I can. I had an EE roo, but I didn't find out until his daughters started laying green eggs!!!
ep.gif
But then laying slowed down and when it picked back up, the roo I'm going to be using for breeding started getting older and started mating with the hens, so I started hatching eggs fertilized by the EE like they were going out of style (b/c I had to get rid of him), so... Now, I only have three layers from him and one I just hatched and the two that just hatched, it looks like they're boys.
th.gif

But, DH said he'd order me some colorful egg layers when we order our spring chicks.
celebrate.gif
ooooooo...colorful eggs
big_smile.png
Why does it always seem that the chicks we want the MOST end up being Roo's?????
rant.gif
My last hatch I had a Bantam Cochin that was calico tan and beautiful!!!! I sooooo wanted to keep that baby and it ended up being a Roo
hit.gif
Spring chick time will be here before we know it
jumpy.gif

Hello Faraday,
Go to your BIg Box store (Lowes or Home Depot, etc.) and buy a solar rechargeable battery light combo and install it to accommodate all of your birds at their night coop. And inside of 3 weeks you willl see your egg production pick up immensely. With 16 layers I went from a low of 1 egg in one day to a record of 14 in one day over a three week period.! And it costs nothing but the initial outlay which does not require a mortgage! I set mine to run from midnight to just after dawn. An 18 hour day period seems to do the trick.
Merry Christmas you all! Of course I do not want to irritate the hundred thousand Moslems that Obama is importing under the wire each month, yeah r-i-g-h-t … You might want to keep your eggs dry in this winter weather as well as your powder. That is all.
Neal, the Zooman

Hello Faraday,
Not at all. Go for the 18 hour day period from the start! It is wonderful what a little knowledge and experience can do. Don't you just love this blog and the folks who contribute to it?
My best to all,
Neal, the Zooman

My Seramas have started laying, and I want to set all the eggs, but I have the styros put up and I want to use just the Brinsea Octagon 20 ECO. I'm trying to figure the best way to stagger the eggs.

Thinking.... thinking....

My Seramas, well, one of them, just started laying too. I put several in the incubator but I haven't had one start developing yet. I wonder when they will be fertile... my roos seem to be doing their job. I can't bear to break any open!

My Seramas have started laying, and I want to set all the eggs, but I have the styros put up and I want to use just the Brinsea Octagon 20 ECO. I'm trying to figure the best way to stagger the eggs.

Thinking.... thinking....
Have the hen do it just number the eggs and once you get to 7 or 8 start taking out #1 then #2 so on shouldn't take long for them to start going broody. Mine are the broodiest birds I have ever owned! No kidding

ooooooo...colorful eggs
big_smile.png
Yeah,
droolin.gif

Why does it always seem that the chicks we want the MOST end up being Roo's?????
rant.gif
IDK. I'd like them to all be girls, but I'll be glad when DD cooks the boys for dinner.
pop.gif

My last hatch I had a Bantam Cochin that was calico tan and beautiful!!!! I sooooo wanted to keep that baby and it ended up being a Roo
hit.gif
I hate it when that happens!!!
Spring chick time will be here before we know it
jumpy.gif

Yup, I'm like
th.gif
and
droolin.gif
and
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom