Incubators Anonymous

what happened to this egg it's lockdown day

My hatching has stalled a little.... I have about $500 worth of chicks coming in the next few weeks. I MIGHT should really think about THINNING down the growout pens ASAP.
LoL. Yeah, dawned on me as I was turning 74 eggs the second day, what the h*ll am I doing! Thought I intend to sell all ducklings that hatch, which leaves 47 chicken eggs plus the 13 chicks just hatched. sure I'll be culling heavily; just where am I going to put them in the meantime! ;-) Most of the next batches to hatch will all be for sale, as the chicken pairings will be the same for the next couple of hatches; then I'll change out the boy and do another set for me. Then more to sell. Hoping I can finish the new house and pens quick!

So, I'm confused. You guys are talking about taking things out or putting things in (sponges, etc) after lockdown. I thought you shouldn't open the incubator at all during this time. I just lost 5 fully formed-ready to hatch chicks because I had to add more water in durning lockdown. So, is it safe to do or not???

Were they pipped when you added water? If not that is not what killed them. Usually that would mean they drown or didn't evaporate enough during incubation.

If I had one of those table top incubators, I would not open them during lockdown. I can get the humidity and temp up Quick in mine so I don't worry about it too much. I don't go in there more than I need to.

Just had an AWFUL hatch. I didn't get many wheatens to hatch and most died. I did save 3. I even lost most of my GNH someone volunteered to send me
hit.gif
I had 9 almost 10 chicks and all but 3 were dead this morning
hit.gif
I am afraid to even fess up
hide.gif

I am going to make some changes to the hatcher QUICKLY. Just not sure what is going on. I can only guess it is either ventilation are hot spots. Suggestions are welcome. I have eggs going into lockdow on thursday.

Here are some pictures of it. The corner where the basket is is the KILLER CORNER. There are no ventilation holes on that side and no fan.

There are 2 ventilation holes at the top back. That little wall has a laptop cooling fan mounted on it.

See I told you
lol.png

I have some small personal fans I can mount somewhere, just not sure where. I need something on the other end like holes.... but top or bottom? Should I mount a fan out side to pull the air OUT?

Other options are adding a section onto the hatcher..... either side or bottom. I feel like I need to move the baskets away from that corner if it is getting hot. OR I can just make a new one.... but not this week.

The plugs are out and I widened two of the others to help with humidity by allowing more air. Its the LG still air incubator. SO ideal humidity is 65-75% for lockdown?? Its day 20 today and its around 70-73 and goes down to 60% is this ok? I don't want to open it to take anything out or add anyting to it. I thought the more air would help.

The plugs are out and I widened two of the others to help with humidity by allowing more air. Its the LG still air incubator. SO ideal humidity is 65-75% for lockdown?? Its day 20 today and its around 70-73 and goes down to 60% is this ok? I don't want to open it to take anything out or add anyting to it. I thought the more air would help.

I open my styro bators multiple times during lockdown and hatching, to remove chicks, shells, add water, etc. I have never once killed a chick from shrinkwrapping. That said, I only open the lid a tiny crack and for a second or two, and I always add additional water either with a large syringe, wet paper towel, or spritz bottle, to compensate for any loss of humidity. Usually it will drop a few percentage points but that's not going to kill chicks mid-hatch. The idea that shrink wrapping happens instantaneously the moment the bator opens is not really accurate.

If you're between 60-70% you're fine. High humidity during lockdown isn't going to cause drowned chicks, that is caused by high humidity during the first 18 days. But, it will cause them to have trouble breathing as was mentioned previously.

Back
Top Bottom