Incubators Anonymous

Pics
I am sad to report that I actually caught myself looking through the hatching eggs and baby chicks last night. I lost two eggs (they became stinkers) and I think it made me sad enough that I thought I might need to order more eggs just in case. I did restrain myself but who knows how long that will last.

Quote:
Me too! I was scanning the auctions in the middle of the night last night - and I haven't even lost any eggs. My DH asked me what I was doing up all night and I just said "oh nothing...."
hide.gif
I don't think he bought it.

Quote:
Me too! I was scanning the auctions in the middle of the night last night - and I haven't even lost any eggs. My DH asked me what I was doing up all night and I just said "oh nothing...."
hide.gif
I don't think he bought it.

It amazes me how they put up with our addictions. My husband was scanning the chickens today and you could tell he was counting and noticing our numbers have gone up and all he asked was okay fill me in who's staying and who's going? I hatch for myself and my sister and I think he was hoping more would be leaving than the ones that I told him lol.

Quote:
Well, I don't have a problem with the killing, hubby does that for me (I would but lack the hand strength to pop the necks - we don't chop). I do the cleaning, as long as I can sit to do it. What I hate is plucking. I don't have a mechanical plucker *yet* so most of em get peeled instead... any suggestions there?

Quote:
Well, I don't have a problem with the killing, hubby does that for me (I would but lack the hand strength to pop the necks - we don't chop). I do the cleaning, as long as I can sit to do it. What I hate is plucking. I don't have a mechanical plucker *yet* so most of em get peeled instead... any suggestions there?

We have guys in our area that will rent out pluckers in exchange for one chicken or some beef or pork that we have processed. It ends up being a fair trade in the end and we are able to get done so much quicker. Right now the guy that is coming to help is bringing his equipment but once we are on our own we have a list of people who have whizbangs that they will rent out for barter for a weekend.

Hi, my name is Impress, and coming here every day and reading about all you folks hatching out chickies, and I couldn't take it. I just bought the Octagon 20 ECO egg incubator and will be setting it up as soon as it gets here. I sold my Little Giant in the Spring swearing from now on I'd just buy chicks, and then some mixed turned out to have a perfect pair of Speckled Sussex, THEN my cute little bantam cochins starting laying eggs, and....yeah. You guys sucked me right in.
gig.gif

Quote:
Unfortunately there is only 1 other person I know of in the area, and she sells eggs (doesn't even hatch her own!). so I don't think that's an option...

Quote:
I am terribly sorry for being an enabler and creating another addict in our midst....oh heck no I'm not, it's good to have company who share the same addictions lol.
wink.png

Hehe I'm excited to start hatching them again, even though my laundry room becomes chick land all year round.
lol.png
The bantam cochin eggs did it, they are so tiny and adorable I just want to squeal and roll around in the yard! I cannot imagine what adorable tiny chicks are going to come popping out of those tiny adorable eggs!

Quote:
Oh don't do that. Don't suck me into bantams too. I've only hatched LF but now the Norwegians Jaerhons which are small birds. The chicks are tiny and oh so cute
woot.gif

And then I start looking at the bantam Cochins. Are they not the cutest little fluffy balls ever???
love.gif
No, no, no, I'm. Not. Going. To. Start. Hatching. Bantams.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom