Incubators Anonymous

So how many days before I should plug my turner in for shipped eggs? I have 35 in the genesis right now, and today is day 4. They've been settling in there straight up since Saturday after their trip from California to Michigan.

How did the air cells look? You can check them real fast and see if they look good now - but I would turn it on too! If they looked great thru shipping I turn mine on after 24 hours..

I've NEVER had air cells look good after shipping. I'll plug the turner in on my next trip into the basement. :) I'm SUPER excited. I've got lav. orps, silkies, marans, speckled Sussex, and mille fleur leghorns in!

Last edited:
Smiling because i just candled day 7 eggs set June 7th so since i seen a baby moving i called mark his day off he looked and was like OMG is that the head ? LOL

Sad news i had 2 eggs left after last hatch one with movement one with out doa i think anyway cat jumped on me dropped good egg and chick well you know feel bad still so i opened up stinky egg and LOL mark gave cat a bath Grins

I had to do something to get even but i had no idea she would try and eat it.

OH Question what causes Pores in egg shell ?

we have Grain, Oyster shells, egg pellets and grit all organic or after they found the gmo wheat Allegidly . anyway what causes it i see many of my eggs have well what looks like big pores when i candle them , Tammy

do you have better luck hatching the eggs laying down or up right in the egg cartons? I see in you bator they are laying on their side....
Do you ever work in Modesto? My daughter is a surgeny tech there...

OH Question what causes Pores in egg shell ?

we have Grain, Oyster shells, egg pellets and grit all organic or after they found the gmo wheat Allegidly . anyway what causes it i see many of my eggs have well what looks like big pores when i candle them , Tammy

I was just reading on an incubator thread - and they suggested that altitude may have something to do with the size of the pores on the egg - bigger pores to help in the hatching process - more humidity can escape.

It said hens at a high altitude make a less porous shell, so maybe at lower altitudes - or in high humidity areas - they lay a more porous shell to help the humidity escape so the chicks can grow properly?

wee.gif
Finally getting a good hatch again!! More black copper marans, and turkey poults. A couple sweetgrass are out. Yeay.

Miss broodie was off her nest today. THough she was taking a break, but she was actually shelding her 2 little ones. I was VERY surprized because I checked her yesterday and all the eggs were gone. I felt all around her ( she was under a big wooden crate) and was very saddened that her eggs were gone.

Now I'm stumped-- where were the chicks hiding?

wee.gif
Finally getting a good hatch again!! More black copper marans, and turkey poults. A couple sweetgrass are out. Yeay.

Miss broodie was off her nest today. THough she was taking a break, but she was actually shelding her 2 little ones. I was VERY surprized because I checked her yesterday and all the eggs were gone. I felt all around her ( she was under a big wooden crate) and was very saddened that her eggs were gone.

Now I'm stumped-- where were the chicks hiding?

Under her wings!
lau.gif

They like to sleep inside their wings. When my first broody last year hatched her chick I was sure she ate the egg - I found the shells but no chick. I picked her up - held her above the nesting box and could see nothing except the other eggs. Then I heard a peep - from the broody. The chick was tucked between her wing and her body - and I picked them both up at the same time.

Hooray for your chicks!

I was just reading on an incubator thread - and they suggested that altitude may have something to do with the size of the pores on the egg - bigger pores to help in the hatching process - more humidity can escape.

It said hens at a high altitude make a less porous shell, so maybe at lower altitudes - or in high humidity areas - they lay a more porous shell to help the humidity escape so the chicks can grow properly?

that sounds like an interesting theory and could be possible over a long period of time

Back
Top Bottom