Incubators Anonymous

Quote: if it was stable before putting eggs in, don't adjust anything. it'll get there on it's own. tinkering will change whatever the temp ends up stabilizing at again.

I agree.... I hope you did not adjust anything. When you put the eggs in it will drop - do not adjust it or you will overheat them when it stabilizes. When the eggs get fully warmed up the temperatures will go back to what you had it set at originally.

wheeeew!!! Good timing!!

What model are you using??

I always wash my hands before turning eggs, however washing off all the oils results in slippery fingers and dropped eggs. UGh. I know turn without picking up the eggs, a roll, or end over end movement. Fewer mishaps.

Do you have air cell diagrams to compare duing the incubation period so you can adjust humidity to make sure the air cell is big enough. Seems more people have trouble drying the eggs enough than drying too much. WHat I mean is the eggs are ussually too wet going into lock down.

If you are able to keep a record of all the readings 4-5 times a day, you will see what works and what doesn't.

wheeeew!!! Good timing!! What model are you using?? I always wash my hands before turning eggs, however washing off all the oils results in slippery fingers and dropped eggs. UGh. I know turn without picking up the eggs, a roll, or end over end movement. Fewer mishaps. Do you have air cell diagrams to compare duing the incubation period so you can adjust humidity to make sure the air cell is big enough. Seems more people have trouble drying the eggs enough than drying too much. WHat I mean is the eggs are ussually too wet going into lock down. If you are able to keep a record of all the readings 4-5 times a day, you will see what works and what doesn't.
I wash my hands ridiculously, lol I just have a Little Giant still air incubator. I got it from someone who no longer incubates, sanitized the crap out if it and now put it to use. Still air incubators are supposed to be slightly higher in temp in top the eggs from what I read so its sitting at 101* and between 27-32% humidity (no water added at this point at all) from all that I have read this seems close to perfect conditions (at least I hope) I will take any and all advice offered! I am so nervous! Just thought I would put out there I have EE eggs and BBS Ameraucana eggs set! Excited and my fingers are crossed!

I just checked again, it says 102. I believe that us the highest it should go in a still air .... This is going to keep me worrying and definitely on my toes!

That is correct, keep checking it to make sure it doesn't go any higher. All those eggs are like heat sincs - they will hold the temperatures steady once you get it set. The air temperature will be higher than the inside of the eggs. When you turn them - move them around so the ones in the middle are on the outside and vice versa. That will account for any hot spots or cold spots you may have.

First incubation is always nerve wracking. I just barely remember mine (Hovabator still air, with turner in 1987) and checking the manual almost every day - candling at day 3, and 7 and 14.. marking air sacs.. but the joy of seeing those new lives come out into the world is worth it.

That is correct, keep checking it to make sure it doesn't go any higher.  All those eggs are like heat sincs - they will hold the temperatures steady once you get it set.  The air temperature will be higher than the inside of the eggs.  When you turn them - move them around so the ones in the middle are on the outside and vice versa.  That will account for any hot spots or cold spots you may have.

First incubation is always nerve wracking.  I just barely remember mine (Hovabator still air, with turner in 1987) and checking the manual almost every day - candling at day 3, and 7 and 14.. marking air sacs.. but the joy of seeing those new lives come out into the world is worth it.

Thank you!!!

It has been at 102* 30% humidity for over an hour now. Hoping this is good need! I appreciate all the support and help! 21 days and hopefully we will see some baby fuzz butts! Yay!

Quote:
I just checked again, it says 102. I believe that us the highest it should go in a still air .... This is going to keep me worrying and definitely on my toes!
THere is a thread devoted to LG users. CMOM has lots of experience and I try to share my experience too.

Hen is 102, so 102 is ok. I see the hens get off the eggs when ambient temps are rediculously high, so they too manage temps.

You can get a little higher and be ok. How long they are high is the most important part. ANd early on they are more foregiving.

I also put a thermometer on the floor, then average the temps top and bottom. Or cut a paper cup to have a thermometer sit at half the height of the eggs.

Honestly, despite all this, the hatching of the eggs will tell you if the temps are running high, low or just right. So hatch on!!!

Hey guys, I've never hatched through an incubator before. A friend gave me her Little Giant styrofoam incubator with it's automatic egg turner but I have a problem... there is no tray (where you put the eggs in during "lockdown"). I have heard it called a "grill" before? Well anyways, can I just make one myself out of hardware cloth? Or do I need to order one of the internet? I have tried searching for one on either Amazon or Ebay with no luck. Can anybody help me?

Back
Top Bottom