Incubators Anonymous

ok I need help fast. I have an egg i thought was bad. today is day 23. I poked a hole in the top of the shell into the airsac, careful not to pierce the membrane. after I did I could see movement inside. What do I do now?? I have a small pea size hole in the shell and the membrane is fully intact.

Quote: were they in a pen with others or separated by themselves? if in a pen, i'd say that's where the problem lay. they need to be by themselves for at least the first week, for them to bond with the chicks properly. and then put her with her chicks in a separate enclosure inside the main pen for at least a few days so the others get to know the chicks too, and don't try killing them right off the bat.

my best broodies were those kept isolated for a week or more before letting them out with the chicks. the ones that hatched either outside (free ranged and hidden well) or in the main coop with everyone else, were those who lacked the mommy skills, because they had too many other birds to worry about, rather than just concentrating on chicks.

I have 4 broodies currently awaiting chicks. they're currently in the main coops, spread out to their satisfaction, but when it comes time to give them chicks they will be isolated for a few days (to make sure they stay broody) then given the chicks overnight. i've managed to even include a few older chicks since they're all new to her, and they seem to help the younger ones ask momma to get off her butt and find them FOOD!
wink.png

my current super-momma buff orpington.
bow.gif
she's been free ranging now for 3 days. this was yesterday.
she started off with 32, good thing i sold off the other 17. she's got 15 under there now.

Last edited:
ok I need help fast. I have an egg i thought was bad. today is day 23. I poked a hole in the top of the shell into the airsac, careful not to pierce the membrane. after I did I could see movement inside. What do I do now?? I have a small pea size hole in the shell and the membrane is fully intact.

Put a piece of tape over the hole. Hopefully it will keep it damp enough inside that the chick can pierce the membrane before it toughens up from exposure to the air....

Last edited:
PLease help, this is my second hatch and I am really worried.
hide.gif

Quote: were they in a pen with others or separated by themselves? if in a pen, i'd say that's where the problem lay. they need to be by themselves for at least the first week, for them to bond with the chicks properly. and then put her with her chicks in a separate enclosure inside the main pen for at least a few days so the others get to know the chicks too, and don't try killing them right off the bat.

my best broodies were those kept isolated for a week or more before letting them out with the chicks. the ones that hatched either outside (free ranged and hidden well) or in the main coop with everyone else, were those who lacked the mommy skills, because they had too many other birds to worry about, rather than just concentrating on chicks.

I have 4 broodies currently awaiting chicks. they're currently in the main coops, spread out to their satisfaction, but when it comes time to give them chicks they will be isolated for a few days (to make sure they stay broody) then given the chicks overnight. i've managed to even include a few older chicks since they're all new to her, and they seem to help the younger ones ask momma to get off her butt and find them FOOD!
wink.png

my current super-momma buff orpington.
bow.gif
she's been free ranging now for 3 days. this was yesterday.
she started off with 32, good thing i sold off the other 17. she's got 15 under there now.

Wow, those just barely fit. I still say you should clone her - GREAT MOMMY!

Put a piece of tape over the hole. Hopefully it will keep it damp enough inside that the chick can pierce the membrane before it toughens up from exposure to the air....
ok did the tape. That little egg is really rocking now. It is almost as if i woke the little chick up or something.I really hope it is going to be ok
fl.gif

i've found, sometimes for late hatchers, i'll put a small pinhole at the far end, just to give him more air to breathe. sometimes seems to 'wake them up' a bit.
Far end meaning air sac end? It def woke it up thats for sure. Just waiting for a pip now. so nerve racking lol!

Back
Top Bottom