Incubators Anonymous

OK... happy moment here. I'm on my third clutch of eggs in my LG incubator. First two hatches resulted in zero chicks even though the eggs were confirmed fertile. After much research and implementing many tips I found here on the forums, I'm on day 14, candled last night on day 13 and saw definite movement in 5 out of 12 eggs! Another 5 show development but no movement. I had to pull two eggs (one wasn't fertilized and the other had a major blood ring). I'm so freaking excited!
celebrate.gif
I know not to "count my chickens before they hatch", but I never had such definitive movement in my previous attempts. I think I've finally got this LG 'bator figured out!

wee.gif

OK... happy moment here. I'm on my third clutch of eggs in my LG incubator. First two hatches resulted in zero chicks even though the eggs were confirmed fertile. After much research and implementing many tips I found here on the forums, I'm on day 14, candled last night on day 13 and saw definite movement in 5 out of 12 eggs! Another 5 show development but no movement. I had to pull two eggs (one wasn't fertilized and the other had a major blood ring). I'm so freaking excited!
celebrate.gif
I know not to "count my chickens before they hatch", but I never had such definitive movement in my previous attempts. I think I've finally got this LG 'bator figured out!

Wish you the best of luck on this hatch then .........
jumpy.gif

OK. Perhaps I should finally admit that I'm a hatch-a-holic. Every year I hatched some leghorns as part of my science class. After 2 weeks, they went to a farm. Simple. Done.

Last year I was given some misc. fertile backyard eggs which ended up starting my own flock. Now I'm obsessed talking chickens with anyone who will listen & even built my own cooler incubator. My home made incubator had an 87% hatch rate with backyard eggs & 60% with shipped eggs. A friend asked me to hatch some more shipped eggs (Yeah! All the fun without having to rehome them!) but only 3 hatched. (20% hatch rate YIKES!) If you have any guesses as to what I could improve, please let me know. (I'm about to set some more shipped eggs tomorrow.)

My worst hatch ever:
Eggs were brought to my house, unwrapped, & allowed to sit (air cell up) for 24 hours.
All 15 had detached air cells - some rolling.
Did not start turning eggs until Day 3. About 30% humidity, 99.5'F
Day 7: Some air cells stabilized; 1 clear & 2 blood rings removed
Day 14: 10 eggs showed good growth & most were moving. 5 eggs still had slightly rolling air cells & the others were just saddle-shaped.
Day 18: Candled to determine which side to face up. (very bad looking air cells, so I was guessing) Added rubber mesh shelf liner & placed eggs on their sides. Increased to 60% humidity. No temp flux or power problems. Water added via tubing so door remained closed.
Day 22: 3 hatched before we woke up. No other pips or movement.
Day 23: Quickly removed fluffy chicks in the afternoon

Day 25 no signs of life: Egg-topsy of the 7 remaining:
3 fully formed with yolk absorbed
3 fully formed with some to 1/2 yolk absorbed
1 slightly smaller chick with large yellow yolk.

My question is why all those embryos developed well then didn't hatch? Could it have simply been the rolling air cells, or did I miss something? My guess is that they died between Day 18-22.

BTW- One of my hens went broody, so I couldn't resist another experiment. (Since my friend is already taking home some chicks....) I didn't risk the shipped eggs since my hen could have gotten bored & walked away. My Princess Lay-a did a great job to hatch 5 out of 6 eggs. They hatched in 20 days. When my incubator chicks hatched, she became a great foster mom.

Back
Top Bottom