Incubators Anonymous

Get a marbled look!?!?! I'm guessing based on the mutts running around here. TWo broodies last fall had mutts that are rather pretty with the marbled look. Just not sure 100% who the parents are as all the girls like to contribute to the pile up of eggs.

Was awakened at 0430 by a skunk attacking the brooder where we have our grumpy Barred Rock. She was flailing around so terribly that her comb has a cut on it, but thank God she only had a little blood and it looks great this morning and should heal nicely... I hope. Now... what to do with her tonight? I'm sure that if we put her with the others in the coop all closed up she'll attack some of the littles and might never integrate. This has been a long process. Hope it's over soon.

Poor Smudge.... scared to death.

Was awakened at 0430 by a skunk attacking the brooder where we have our grumpy Barred Rock. She was flailing around so terribly that her comb has a cut on it, but thank God she only had a little blood and it looks great this morning and should heal nicely... I hope. Now... what to do with her tonight? I'm sure that if we put her with the others in the coop all closed up she'll attack some of the littles and might never integrate. This has been a long process. Hope it's over soon.

Poor Smudge.... scared to death.
poor girl! How scary!
I have no idea what your coop space situation is, but do you have the room to close her into her own space, somehow? (dog crate, penned off space, something like that?)
We are super-limited in ours...it is just a glorified broom cupboard, but I keep the space underneath the nest boxes penned off. We use it for roo jail, broody kingdom, injury separation, etc. When nobody is in it, we just keep it open, and it gives us a little more floor space.
I hope you can find a way to safely keep her at night, without risking trouble with the rest of the flock.
Good luck!

poor girl! How scary!
I have no idea what your coop space situation is, but do you have the room to close her into her own space, somehow? (dog crate, penned off space, something like that?)
We are super-limited in ours...it is just a glorified broom cupboard, but I keep the space underneath the nest boxes penned off. We use it for roo jail, broody kingdom, injury separation, etc. When nobody is in it, we just keep it open, and it gives us a little more floor space.
I hope you can find a way to safely keep her at night, without risking trouble with the rest of the flock.
Good luck!
I thank you so much for the suggestion!!! When I saw your post it reminded me of the space we have under our nest boxes in the enclosed coop...... Just called the hubs and told him about it. Wonderful wonderful!!!
wee.gif

I thank you so much for the suggestion!!! When I saw your post it reminded me of the space we have under our nest boxes in the enclosed coop...... Just called the hubs and told him about it. Wonderful wonderful!!!
wee.gif
Hooray!!!!
My neighbor has the workman at her house right now enclosing the area under hers, as well!!!
So happy to help!!!
If he uses wire, it will keep them separate and they can still continue the integration, without interruption, as well! I have always used mine when slowly integrating younger birds with the established flock, before I had a broody to do all the work for me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom