Indian fantails and American fantails what's the difference(also need info on caring for pigeons)

I think my pigeons are courting! Or the male is at least trying to woo his lady, but it doesn't seem to be working. He is inflating his crop, flapping the but of his wings, and cooing with a weird growl they usually make. The is beginning to get interested right now, she flew own to investigate this mini parade hoping for babies. (Sorry to ignore your post, I'm really not I just got excited)

Poor boy getting rejected, she won't show interest but he won't give up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Er.. i babbled on n forgot to tell how most don't release select breeder pairs, and fly young from them. Keep in three to six pairs and breed fliers from them. train them to come home/to you every evening by feeding only one cup per evening per pair, as say sing whistle hum something or make certain noise or sound as do.. otherwise cut that ration in half after week to month of doing n no results from them. they'll associate the sound n you with feeding, then real training as their friend can happen. when releasing young or newly aquired birds, settle them by setting in all wire cage where they can see hear smell etc all around area. pigeons proven to use sonar and or echo location, something I've always theorized especially since best bred homers ceres seem significantly larger than average..
once they've had training and settling, with hold feed before releasing to fly for first time for one day. then a bob trap can easily be made with a coat hanger. you could easily cover most of shed door opening with netting or those magnetic screen doors.

Thank you this will help a lot, my chickens will be in the same loft/coop, but I made sure that there are places for the pigeons to get away from. But I'm sure by the time we get babies we'll have a better loft built for them anyway but you gave me a few ideas

Another pigeon question... how come my pigeons won't bathe in their water bowl thing? I give it to them everyday but they just like roosting on the edges, so today I poured some water, on them, very gently so they could bathe in it. The male liked It more than the female.

My pigeons are billing! I hope I find eggs in the nest soon!

In a perfect world once you see them copulate you can expect eggs in about 10 days. It is getting late in the year however if the birds were hatched this year I would doubt it. I have been wrong before.
Another pigeon question... how come my pigeons won't bathe in their water bowl thing?
Pigeons like to bathe in water about 2 inches deep. I cut the bottom out of a 45 gallon plastic barrel about 10 inches high with a piece of foam pipe insulation on the rim and two rope handles. Works for me and my flock. With a gallon of water and a teaspoon of Borax (20 mule team) keeps parasites away and my birds spotless.

Last edited:
In a perfect world once you see them copulate you can expect eggs in about 10 days. It is getting late in the year however if the birds were hatched this year I would doubt it. I have been wrong before.
Pigeons like to bathe in water about 2 inches deep. I cut the bottom out of a 45 gallon plastic barrel about 10 inches high with a piece of foam pipe insulation on the rim and two rope handles. Works for me and my flock. With a gallon of water and a teaspoon of Borax (20 mule team) keeps parasites away and my birds spotless.

The pigeons seem to be trying to make a nest, I'm hoping they breed soon, unless they bred while I was at school... I'm really hoping for babies.

Back
Top Bottom