How much should a baby pigeon eat?

You did get a good answer,,. I was going to suggest millet.
So he’s not liking seeds. I tried to put some on a towel and show him with my fingers but he associates my fingers with formula so that was a no go. I’ve seen some people put a bowl of it in their enclosure I plan to try that next but what he’s in right now is not big enough for that…it’s time for an upgrade!! When you’re showing them, do you do it when they’re like really hungry or still kind of full? I feel like he’s so focused on formula when I try that the seeds don’t even register to him. Maybe I need to catch him when he’s still kind of full from formula? This is a whole new world for me so we are both learning as we go!

Ok so I have a new question. My pigeon loft is above my chicken coop. I have two sets of parents that raise babies up there but occasionally one falls. That has happened today. My chickens tore its neck up pretty bad but I’m honestly not sure how old it is. It still makes the noises like a baby and looks fully feathered but does not fly. Should I be trying to feed it too or should it be old enough to be eating on its own?

Most likely still eating from DAD. About day 20,,, the dad is the usually the sole feeder. Lil guy may be picking seeds on his own to some degree.

Most important, in my view,,,,, is to secure somehow the separation between chickens and pigeons,,, so you don't have falling squabs to deal with. Maybe a screened frame of some sort,,, that can be easily removed for your access.

I got all that taken care of.

Back to the original baby, I’m beginning to have trouble feeding him. He has started showing interest in seeds, but he does eat enough to fill him up. When I try to formula feed him now, he fights me and doesn’t eat near as much as he used to. Is that normal?

Try to give a mixture of formula and seeds in it. This is similar to what regurgitated food from parent would be. I am not sure how you will get it into juniors mouth. Maybe a small straw would work :idunno

I just wanted to write an update and tell anyone interested that Taco (my son named him/her) is doing well. He’s roughly 4-5 weeks old now and has begun to fly some, but he hasn’t figured out how to get height when he fly’s so he flys downward. He’ll get it thought. My question is, how many times a day should I be feeding him now? If I feed him twice a day he seems like it’s too much but if I only feed him once he acts like he’s starving. So which should I do? Thank you!

Keep it twice per day, and offer seeds free-choice.
Glad to hear Taco is thriving :old ❤️ :love
Ok I’ll keep to twice a day for now thank you!!

When would he go down to once a day, then eventually off? I’m sure it’s probably going to be later than it would be if his parents were taking care of him, I’m just looking for a ball park idea. Here is a picture of him today. He’s solid white, but dirty from baby bird formula…😂😂

Attachments

• IMG_0258.jpeg
    IMG_0258.jpeg
    416.4 KB · Views: 7
When he starts eating seeds himself from a dish,,, you can cut off the formula then... You are doing a GREAT JOB,,, feeding him. :hugs
Taco❤️:love:yesss:
Doing what you are/have done,,, you have learned very much from personal experience. Others reading these posts, (there are many BTW. Members, and non members read these post worldwide.) learn from your experience.:highfive:

Is he drinking water on his own,, with no problems/hesitation?????
Make sure the dish is deep enough for him to stick, and submerge complete beak. Pigeons drink differently from chickens... They drink like using a straw to slurp up the water.
You may already know this,,, :old:frow... I'm writing it so that other readers not aware of it will know, and be better informed.

Back
Top Bottom