Indian Runner Ducks - Behavioural Issues

Kelbe

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2023
Hi. We inherited Indian Runner Ducks with our property. There was initially one male. We inadvertently let them breed (1 clutch) as they are very sneaky. So we now have 5 males and 6 females. The first year all was reasonably ok, then the young males started picking on one female. For her own safety we put her in a pen, and then added the original male with her, during breeding season only and all was quiet. This breeding season (am in southern hemisphere) has been relentless and the 4 two year old males started picking on another female of the same colour to the point they made the back of her head bleed and were engaging in pack rape behaviour.

We locked the four young males up, and let out the older male and his female. All was peaceful for a week - older male plus 6 females. Now he has suddenly started picking on the same female and has made the back of her head bleed too. We have locked him in with the chickens.

What should we do? We are not interested in breeding ducks or eating eggs, we just want peace. Why that one girl? Do we need to rehome her? Or try and rehome either all the females or all of the males?

They have an acre of garden and two waterholes here, so duck paradise, but when the female tries to hide on her own she will invariably get hunted down and attached.

Attachments

• P1010070.JPG
    P1010070.JPG
    705.1 KB · Views: 49
Hi. We inherited Indian Runner Ducks with our property. There was initially one male. We inadvertently let them breed (1 clutch) as they are very sneaky. So we now have 5 males and 6 females. The first year all was reasonably ok, then the young males started picking on one female. For her own safety we put her in a pen, and then added the original male with her, during breeding season only and all was quiet. This breeding season (am in southern hemisphere) has been relentless and the 4 two year old males started picking on another female of the same colour to the point they made the back of her head bleed and were engaging in pack rape behaviour.

We locked the four young males up, and let out the older male and his female. All was peaceful for a week - older male plus 6 females. Now he has suddenly started picking on the same female and has made the back of her head bleed too. We have locked him in with the chickens.

What should we do? We are not interested in breeding ducks or eating eggs, we just want peace. Why that one girl? Do we need to rehome her? Or try and rehome either all the females or all of the males?

They have an acre of garden and two waterholes here, so duck paradise, but when the female tries to hide on her own she will invariably get hunted down and attached.
I don't have ducks myself, but I've heard plenty of horror stories about them😅
(They still look pretty darn cute though!)
I would keep a bachelor pad as the males can be pretty rough with the girls, but that's just me.
Hopefully someone can give you some better advice! Best of luck! :)

You have way too many males. For 6 females you should have one male maximum and even then 6 females is not always enough to satisfy 1 male as you have seen when separating them. I personally am not fond of runner drakes and the runner drakes that I have dealt with seemed to be much more aggressive towards both males and females compared to the other breeds I have had. The hens are lovely to have around though.

And really, if you're not interested in breeding and hatching eggs, just get rid of all the males. It will make your life a lot easier. I'm not sure why they're going after the one particular female but I would rather get rid of the boys than take the chance that rehoming her would work. Good luck!

I have a Runner drake with 9 females he is an awesome drake but boy the girls are after him big time now. I am thinking of adding another drake just to give my poor Snoop a break. He and most of his females are going to be 7 yrs in April and I think he could use some help. lol
What part of the world are you in?

Seems your choices are keep 1 drake and all the females or rehome all the drakes and keep just females or rehome your females and just have a bachelor flock but sometimes that doesn't work out if the drakes start ganging up and breeding another drake. Hard choices here.

I have Runners, too, and one female that the males always seem to lust after. I've often wondered why her? She's my oldest duck and completely dominates the flock except during breeding season. She also goes broody every year, so I'm wondering if the attraction to the drakes is related to the hormones that cause her broodiness. In your circumstances, I'd go with an entirely female flock. The ducks will be happy and you will be able to enjoy them, too.

Whatever you do don't put the runner ducks with chickens cause they will also do a gang rape there too seen this from a friend's pets.

Back
Top Bottom