INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I miss having chickens, hopefully when I get a job I can get a few chickens, I know the roommates want to get a goat to help with the grass haha. What breed of goat would be a best to have? And should I get chickens or ducks? I have to relearn everything again :( but I'll get it again sooner or later.

I'm so upset and need predator identification help! I just went out to feed the chickens and found on of my Bielie girls lying dead in the yard between the coop and the barn, no damage to her body except a broken neck!
hit.gif
I am thinking it must have been a dog, possibly a cat. Could my barn cat have done this?!?!?!??!?!! He hasn't shown any interest in the chickens before. I think any wild predator would have tried to drag off the body or feed. She was an 8+ pound bird! The cats weigh less! I just can't believe it! Why isn't it ever the ones you don't care about?!?!?!?!??!?!

Cute duckling!

Oh, my goodness, yes. She is a dead ringer for Frou-Frou minus the black spot on the beak. My son named her Jamie (after James Bond) and she is the sweetest of the new chicks. She is the only one I can consistently catch on the first try, and that my little girl can scoop up to carry around (like she does the silkies). She is definitely a fave. I like her light pink comb and beak, too. What does Frou-Frou look like now?

Always glad to pull up pictures of Frou-Frou! :D She's also always in my avatar. Sporting the fluff ball look this month. :lol:

She actually turns 3 years old today--can't believe this big goofball has been here that long! :love

Thanks folks. We'll see how the hatch goes. Did anyone want to guess what the TP breed is?

My guess is Tolbunt polish

That'd be my guess as well. :)

I'm so upset and need predator identification help! I just went out to feed the chickens and found on of my Bielie girls lying dead in the yard between the coop and the barn, no damage to her body except a broken neck! :hit I am thinking it must have been a dog, possibly a cat. Could my barn cat have done this?!?!?!??!?!! He hasn't shown any interest in the chickens before. I think any wild predator would have tried to drag off the body or feed. She was an 8+ pound bird! The cats weigh less! I just can't believe it! Why isn't it ever the ones you don't care about?!?!?!?!??!?!

Aw, I'm so sorry! :hugs I would think if it was a dog there would be more damage done, especially chew marks and torn out feathers. I have no idea on cats, hope someone else can help on that. :hugs Is it possible that she could have flown or run into a wall in a panic over something? It seems like it's unusual for a predator not to cause more damage than just a broken neck...

I'm so upset and need predator identification help! I just went out to feed the chickens and found on of my Bielie girls lying dead in the yard between the coop and the barn, no damage to her body except a broken neck!
hit.gif
I am thinking it must have been a dog, possibly a cat. Could my barn cat have done this?!?!?!??!?!! He hasn't shown any interest in the chickens before. I think any wild predator would have tried to drag off the body or feed. She was an 8+ pound bird! The cats weigh less! I just can't believe it! Why isn't it ever the ones you don't care about?!?!?!?!??!?!
Sorry to hear this.

When my dog got ahold of my pullet last week, she had no signs of anything. She was just dead. :( I think if they just take them in their mouth and shake, that can do it. I didn't see it happen with mine, just found her in the yard. I'm sorry this happened to your bird. I agree, it is always the favorites. So frustrating.

I'm so upset and need predator identification help!  I just went out to feed the chickens and found on of my Bielie girls lying dead in the yard between the coop and the barn, no damage to her body except a broken neck!  :hit  I am thinking it must have been a dog, possibly a cat.  Could my barn cat have done this?!?!?!??!?!!  He hasn't shown any interest in the chickens before.  I think any wild predator would have tried to drag off the body or feed.  She was an 8+ pound bird!  The cats weigh less!  I just can't believe it!  Why isn't it ever the ones you don't care about?!?!?!?!??!?!

My guess would be dogs? Neighbor's lab dogs on the loose one year got into our yard and killed our 4 tame mallards. They broke necks and left them.

I miss having chickens, hopefully when I get a job I can get a few chickens, I know the roommates want to get a goat to help with the grass haha. What breed of goat would be a best to have? And should I get chickens or ducks? I have to relearn everything again
sad.png
but I'll get it again sooner or later.
I'm going to be blunt as I know you are busy ~ trying to finish up a highschool degree, get a job, settle in with a new place and new people.

A goat will eat weeds, trees, and all kinds of plants before finally touching plain grass.
A goat will take its time and the grass grows all around the goats favorite almost bare eating places.
A goat will consume a lot more of your time than mowing the grass ever would.
There is a lot to caring properly for a goat, with out some strong motivation, goat care quickly becomes a chore.
1st there is caring for the feet.
2nd setting up multiple feeders ~ minerals, hay, grain, each need to be monitored ~ the grain is a daily if not twice a day feeding not a let sit out all of the time.
3rd goats are a herd animal you need 3 to keep them happy
4th goats in heat or rut are not easy to make happy and can be noisy
5th goats if dairy goats require milking / goats if meat goats cost money to be put down
6th Take the time to price out the items needed for goat care ~ disbudding irons, trimmers, milk pumps, goat shelter, feeders, collars, leashes, fencing or containment of some kind. Long term staking a goat is not always wise as the rope can strangle a goat or break a leg if they get spooked. I'd read at least 2 books on goat raising before ever getting a goat. I personally read at least 10 of these kinds of books and still got sticker shock when I went to buy a milking pump. Those things cost 2-10 times as much as medela's top of the line pumps.

I have goats and I really really enjoy them. But if a few chickens are not affordable, then a goat is out of your budget.

As for chickens or ducks, chickens are easier in the winter and with it already being summer, I'd say chickens first. Also ducklings and ducks in general tend to cost more in feed and oyster shell around here. They do eat some insects but their pen is always the one with the strongest smell.

hit.gif

My barn cats kill to eat not to leave lying around. They might prance the mouse by my kitchen window but they always eat it. They might leave a bit here and there but typically my barn cats eat way more than they leave. My barn cats like processing day and will eat chicken scraps but they have never attacked any of the chickens larger than a softball.
An owl will sometimes eat the neck first and if startled will leave a bird in 2 parts, so I'm going with not an owl. A hawk possibly since the bellie was hefty it might have got the kill done and was planning to come back later to eat.
A dog maybe as swinging a chicken hard enough could break its neck.

My vote is on the hawk.

Back
Top Bottom