INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Interesting news a couple days ago my father noticed a kitten roaming around the yard so he put out some cat food and surprise surprise we have a new kitten but he's so small I was worried he'd be attacked or eaten or something so we put out a car crate for him and I've been checking on him as much as possible but the interesting new is who adopted him... Henry, Thelma and Louis has seemingly adopted him because every morning the kitten is found in the coop Henry is a bit over protective of his hens and Thelma and Louis are the bosses of the yard Henry a rir roo and Thelma and Louis buff Orpington hens... So I guess the kitten is a happy new member of the chicken flock... Although I do wonder if they are raising their future killer... Or are cats ok if they are raised around them?

O yes Blackbeard is ecstatic!! He loves his ladies!! He was so busy checking things out and doing his " Duty " that he didn't know which to do first and trying to get a good pic was ... well ... you seen the best I could get. lol
Kellogg is not really a bully he just don't trust us yet, I have no doubt he will come around, especially now that he has his own ladies and room to free range.
and even if he don't work out he will find another home, no Coq Au Vin here.... what ever that is.
I thought the PR was the Bully? Was it Kellogg instead? He was a tremendously good rooster for us but was really confused about being picked up and didn't like it at all. The PR didn't like being picked up either, but he'd suffer it and would eventually come around and want treats and pets. All of them loved their treats and almost anything can be a treat for them--dandelions, bread, kitchen scraps, noodles, corn cobs, anything.

Interesting news a couple days ago my father noticed a kitten roaming around the yard so he put out some cat food and surprise surprise we have a new kitten but he's so small I was worried he'd be attacked or eaten or something so we put out a car crate for him and I've been checking on him as much as possible but the interesting new is who adopted him... Henry, Thelma and Louis has seemingly adopted him because every morning the kitten is found in the coop Henry is a bit over protective of his hens and Thelma and Louis are the bosses of the yard Henry a rir roo and Thelma and Louis buff Orpington hens... So I guess the kitten is a happy new member of the chicken flock... Although I do wonder if they are raising their future killer... Or are cats ok if they are raised around them?

In my experience cats don't bother the adult birds it's the chicks they go after.

frow.gif
Hi guys, finally home, long weekend. My Dad in law was ill, and wound up shipping off to the hospital for surgery Wednesday. Colon cancer and was 85% blocked.. They resectioned, and removed the lesion. He is doing well, but dehydrated and weak. So far reports are good, DH is staying another day with his mom. Will be waiting to see how healing goes this week so far no colostomy bag. Pathology and CT scan scheduled to determine if he needs chemo etc..Pretty scary stuff! Adore them both, good caring people and really surprised us all. DH's sister is on summer break, works for a school, so will be providing short term care for them.
Thank you all for the supportive thoughtful messages and prayers.
hugs.gif

Off to catch up!

I have a girl named "Sassy cat" that showed up one morning under our porch. She was maybe 3 weeks old, so yes I took her inside. She wound up liking outside better! So up until last winter, she was an outdoor cat. She has grown up around livestock, dogs, birds you name it. Even the tiniest quail chick she will not touch. Over the years, all the cats I do keep I try to expose them to the animals they are to be "ok" with from a kitten. Adult strays are case by case! They are the ones to worry more about. Cats have a prey drive, but can learn whats ok and whats not. Sassy will get a mouse in a second,, snakes, baby possum and even a few small rabbits. Never touched any of my chicks, indoors or out.

@jchny2000 glad to here its good new so far heres hoping it stays that way.

@Indyshent P.Rock ( we actually call him that thanks to my grand daughter ) was only a bully due to age, inexperience, and only while trying to do his duty. So I was only teasing when I called him a bully. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I Love P.Rock. Kellogg Is a brat but I really do think its a trust thing and he will come out of it.

I had a bantam cochin hen that flew up onto my head in panic when I introduced a small cat into the barn. Before long they were best friends, sometimes cuddling in the nest together.

frow.gif
Hi guys, finally home, long weekend. My Dad in law was ill, and wound up shipping off to the hospital for surgery Wednesday. Colon cancer and was 85% blocked.. They resectioned, and removed the lesion. He is doing well, but dehydrated and weak. So far reports are good, DH is staying another day with his mom. Will be waiting to see how healing goes this week so far no colostomy bag. Pathology and CT scan scheduled to determine if he needs chemo etc..Pretty scary stuff! Adore them both, good caring people and really surprised us all. DH's sister is on summer break, works for a school, so will be providing short term care for them.
hugs.gif

Off to catch up!
Glad to hear that things are looking good!
thumbsup.gif

I have a girl named "Sassy cat" that showed up one morning under our porch. She was maybe 3 weeks old, so yes I took her inside. She wound up liking outside better! So up until last winter, she was an outdoor cat. She has grown up around livestock, dogs, birds you name it. Even the tiniest quail chick she will not touch. Over the years, all the cats I do keep I try to expose them to the animals they are to be "ok" with from a kitten. Adult strays are case by case! They are the ones to worry more about. Cats have a prey drive, but can learn whats ok and whats not. Sassy will get a mouse in a second,, snakes, baby possum and even a few small rabbits. Never touched any of my chicks, indoors or out.
I have 3 cats, 1 indoor and 2 in and out. None of the 3 have ever offered to bother the chicks or my African grey. Like Sassy, mice, moles, etc. but not even wild birds.

frow.gif
hugs.gif

Off to catch up!
Great news!
hugs.gif

I had a bantam cochin hen that flew up onto my head in panic when I introduced a small cat into the barn.  Before long they were best friends, sometimes cuddling in the nest together.

Glad to hear that things are looking good!  :thumbsup

I have 3 cats, 1 indoor and 2 in and out.  None of the 3 have ever offered to bother the chicks or my African grey.  Like Sassy, mice, moles, etc. but not even wild birds.

How is your little pair doing? Pics are always fun!!

Back
Top Bottom