INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Also what's an oe? And what's the difference between haritage rir and a rir?

OE is olive egger. This one is half black copper marans and half true americauna.

@SallyinIndiana can you help with the differences between heritage and production RIR?

I'll post some pics in the am if I can

This tread tells about the heritage RIR. The big differences in comparing the roosters are:
size, color, type, and attitude. Heritage RIR are larger true dual purpose birds. Heritage RIR have a darker color and a brick shape type with better horn coloring in their legs. Heritage RIR roosters are not attack dog roosters. Sure they are not lap kittens but I've not ever been given so much as an evil look from mine. Now come feeding time the roosters will RUN toward the person carrying the food bucket but mine will not attack.

Yes very I'm just not sure my wifey is gonna let me spend that much for two specially one being a roo but let me talk to her tomorrow after work .... Now if they were silkies lol she's wanting them badly

very cute and you take better pic's than I do.... course my camera is about dead, the flash don't even work half the time and sometimes the pic's are red???? don't know what that is all about.
Well I have lost all 19 of my silkie chicks. Guess it is just not meant to be, have 1 left, looks like a Lt. Brahma???
Called my vet today and he wants to look at the body, wont be burring this one with the rest but at least I will find out for sure what the heck is going on!!!

Got the goat kids play pen built, they have shade shelter ( in case it rains and I don't know it .. its happened ) and all kinds of things to play on. First year I have had this many kids on the place, they are normally all billy born here and I sell them, this year I have does... course half of them were not born here but still does. So they needed a place to call their own.

Got a goat problem and don't want to go to vet with it unless I have to ... he is dealing with chicken with me right now. Anyway, all my goats are looking bad, except the kids, Billys and does, they are getting real skinny, they have good hay, turned out on pasture in the day time, they have a goat lick and all the daily fresh water they can drink. I have wormed them 2x this year the last time being in June. I switch form Ivermecton to a 3 way combo deal the vet keeps me supplied with, ( 1 ienbendazole pyrantel .. the label is wore so that's all I can read. 2 Cydeotin again hard to read it. 3 Prohib?t ) The combo is the last one I wormed with. Done of the goats are pale, the coats are soft and shinny, and all is as it should be except they are losing weight. And the hat is clover, tim and alfalfa mix, first cutting. I really am at a loss here, hope someone knows what is going on.
I am so sorry to hear about the silkies. Hope the vet has an answer.
Hate to say it, but I would take a fecal sample in from one goat, the thinnest/oldest. Rule out any chance of worms, then try to get the calf manna (pelleted) and add it to the regular feed. It has directions for several species. I use it for young pigs, and often for my nursing does to give them a boost. Great product and gives them a good boost of nutrients etc.
Worms can get resistant, even with switching wormers often. With a fecal test at least you know for sure thats not the problem.

Well I've lost yet another couple. A hen and rooster. Different days. I have 3 of 11 d'uccles left and 6 of 13 LF chicks from Easter hatches left. Then my dog came in with bite marks. This is the best pic but you can kinda see size based on the finger width there. It looks too far apart for small mouthed animal yet too close for a dog bite. I only see 2 puncture wounds. They are pretty deep too. Any ideas?

I am so sorry! Been a bad year for several of us.
Raccoon have long sharp canine teeth, slightly more than a thumbs width apart. Seeing the wound, its quite possible. Thats pretty scary, what type dog is it? (large breed, small etc) They will take on a dog, no question and usually lose the fight and run off.
Looks like I'm not meant to have BLRW this year
sad.png
or more CCL. I had 3 more dead chicks when I went out this morning and another that wasn't looking good. Maybe next year.

Also, anyone interested in a heritage RIR roo, OE roo or a jubilee Orp cockerel? If not they're going to @racinchickins for processing next weekend.
Thats a shame, am so sorry to hear it. I had really bad luck with CCL too, finally gave up.

Haven't been on here in awhile and am way behind on posts, but I wanted to let everyone know that Minmin1258 (Cindy) is having some pretty serious health issues right now and could you use all of your thoughts and prayers. They will be very much appreciated.
Thanks for posting. @minmin1258 thinking about you and sending prayers and big
hugs.gif

Looks like I'm not meant to have BLRW this year
sad.png
or more CCL. I had 3 more dead chicks when I went out this morning and another that wasn't looking good. Maybe next year.

Also, anyone interested in a heritage RIR roo, OE roo or a jubilee Orp cockerel? If not they're going to @racinchickins for processing next weekend.
Sorry to hear about your chicks I'm going through that too. lost all my Silkies, guess its just not going to happen for me either this year.

I am so sorry to hear about the silkies. Hope the vet has an answer.
Hate to say it, but I would take a fecal sample in from one goat, the thinnest/oldest. Rule out any chance of worms, then try to get the calf manna (pelleted) and add it to the regular feed. It has directions for several species. I use it for young pigs, and often for my nursing does to give them a boost. Great product and gives them a good boost of nutrients etc.
Worms can get resistant, even with switching wormers often. With a fecal test at least you know for sure thats not the problem.

I am so sorry! Been a bad year for several of us.
Raccoon have long sharp canine teeth, slightly more than a thumbs width apart. Seeing the wound, its quite possible. Thats pretty scary, what type dog is it? (large breed, small etc) They will take on a dog, no question and usually lose the fight and run off.
Thats a shame, am so sorry to hear it. I had really bad luck with CCL too, finally gave up.

Thanks for posting. @minmin1258 thinking about you and sending prayers and big
hugs.gif
Looks like I am going to have to bug my vet again with another critter... ll he must love all the money I give him. No wonder I'm always broke!! Oh well they cant take care of themselves. I have Calf Manna but its powdered would that work? Since I already have it on hand. Didn't know you could give it to goats.
No directions for goats on this bag, maybe we are talking about different stuff?????

Got a question for computer/thread people... I'm dumb as all get out when it comes to this stuff... anyway I dont get notifcations from here any more and I am subscribed of course and I cant find anything in my mail that would stop them from coming in.

Back
Top Bottom