INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Great to see you back! I have Easter Egger roosters and hens available now, all under a year old. The rooster is not related to the hens, PM (personal message) If interested. I will include the fella free with 3 hens.

Thank you glad to be back! I may get with you in the EE,looking at a few OEGB here from another member and if they work out might be good for bit...many thanks either way! Love our Hoosier hospitality :D

Welcome back! Unfortunately i am chickenless at the moment...wish i could help

No worries thanks for offer! Rock on Indiana BYC thread!

Hi,

If anyone has any Muscovy hens they are looking to get rid of, I am in the market. My 3 girls are not enough for two drakes. Every time I turn around one of them is pinned to the ground. I've also noticed my chicken hens are starting to give the drakes a wide berth when they meet. Prefer lavender or barred, but at this point I'm not too choosy. My only hard and fast criteria is no males

Patrick

All I have are pied, but @LonelyPageTurne
 has black pied which are at least known to be split to lavender. Mine probably are too, but I don't know. I have three hens and one drake. Two of the hens could feasibly go to a new home, but my daughter has nonsensically latched onto one hen and the drake. 

I'm interested, but I'd be leery of getting rid of your two girls. It seems with Muscovies you need three or more hens per drake or he over mates them and goes looking for chicken hens. You may inadvertently find yourself in the mess I'm in now.

Hi,

If anyone has any Muscovy hens they are looking to get rid of, I am in the market. My 3 girls are not enough for two drakes. Every time I turn around one of them is pinned to the ground. I've also noticed my chicken hens are starting to give the drakes a wide berth when they meet. Prefer lavender or barred, but at this point I'm not too choosy. My only hard and fast criteria is no males

Patrick

I am sure I have a couple more black, pied or barred or both. I will try to do a round up, and figure out whats still here. I really do not want 10 Musovy hens and thats what I am estimating I have.

Let me know what you have and we can figure it out.

Thank you for your condolences regarding the loss of my big, fluffy Eliza. It's comforting knowing that you guys truly understand.
smile.png

@pipdzipdnreadytogo What a beautiful locket with Frou-Frou's photo! I thought of her during my recent ordeal with Eliza. Our girls looked related even though they were different breeds.
Welcome to @deapot2 and @slutter and @farmguy2007 ! Please click on this link to find out more about our wonderful Indiana Thread! Indiana BYC'ers Members, Events, & Links
It's great to have new people join us, and it's also fun to see some of our members posting who we haven't heard from for a while. This time of year when we're forced to be inside more seems to increase traffic on our thread, which is great!!
@BackyardBitten ~ We're glad to hear from you! You know that having chickens is not a prerequisite of this thread. Loving chickens is, though! Congrats on your new dachshund doggie! You also know that we love pics of any animal species.

@ellymayRans
It was so nice to come back from my "leave of absence" and see the picture of Bonbon's former baby! I also loved all of your peacock and turkey photos. What is the latest on your Peacock Rescue? Last I knew, you found homes for most of the first group, and you had just rescued a second group. If anyone would like to learn more about Mandy's Peacock Rescue, just click here: http://gofundme.com/peafowlrescue2015

@hogster160 ~ So sorry to hear about the dog attacking your flock! I can't imagine how upsetting and frustrating that would be. As far as acclimating your injured chicken that's been kept inside, I've acclimated mine gradually like @Leahs Mom described. It's definitely best to be gradual. Even when outdoor temps vary greatly from day to night, an outdoor chicken goes through that transition during several hours or more. It's not the same as walking from inside to outside. And when a chicken has been ill or injured, it's even more important to slowly transition it to withstand outdoor temperatures.

I've mentioned this before, but I kept reading about the importance of not subjecting chickens to sudden temperature changes, but I was annoyed that I could never find specific guidelines. Since I heat my coop, I wanted to make sure that if there was a power outage, the chickens would be able to transition to the outdoor temp. I finally thought to ask my avian veterinarian who owns chickens and heats their coop. He recommended not having a sudden temperature change over 20 degrees (my coop is typically 15 degrees warmer than outside temps). I have a temperature and humidity monitor in my house so I can keep a eye on the coop readings.

Insulation ~ I recently cut some of those square foam mats to use as insulation in my coop. Then I cut some silver reflective car sun shades and used some foam tape to adhere it to the foam piece. They're great because they kind of snap into place if you cut them just a little bigger that the space you're covering (and they're placed between side beams in the coop). I decided I could better explain through a diagram.
tongue.png

@chick rookie ~ Love your new addition!

Hello everyone! I am new to backyard chickens and am planning on joining the community very shortly! I live in Indianapolis, but have some general questions. I cannot decide whether I want to raise my hens from chicks or purchase hens which are already close to egg laying age. I plan to have a small flock (5-6) and plan to have only hens for egg laying. I also plan on culling the hens myself when they no longer produce eggs (My family comes from a farm background so I am familiar with the process. I will use the meat/feet/etc. for soup and stock).

I think the pros to raising as chicks would be I get to pick my breed, however the downside is I would not be getting eggs until the end of the summer. However the downside of purchasing older hens is I do not know where to even begin when it comes to purchasing older hens, and I do not know their personality/condition/etc.

Do you guys have any general advise for me? Thank you and I am excited to join your community!

wee.gif
celebrate.gif
Yay! The Tricicde-Neo came in!
yesss.gif
ya.gif

Now all's to do is get through my school day and hope my pipes aren't frozen later. Oh, and buy some distilled water to mix this stuff with anyway. And find a tote or some other container big enough to accommodate her giant feet (and the CX's). Ah, bumblefoot, I hope to never meet it again.

Hello everyone! I am new to backyard chickens and am planning on joining the community very shortly! I live in Indianapolis, but have some general questions. I cannot decide whether I want to raise my hens from chicks or purchase hens which are already close to egg laying age. I plan to have a small flock (5-6) and plan to have only hens for egg laying. I also plan on culling the hens myself when they no longer produce eggs (My family comes from a farm background so I am familiar with the process. I will use the meat/feet/etc. for soup and stock).

I think the pros to raising as chicks would be I get to pick my breed, however the downside is I would not be getting eggs until the end of the summer. However the downside of purchasing older hens is I do not know where to even begin when it comes to purchasing older hens, and I do not know their personality/condition/etc.

Do you guys have any general advise for me? Thank you and I am excited to join your community!
Welcome!
frow.gif

Welcome!

You've pretty much laid out what you need to consider. It can be harder to find hens that are laying, but that aren't past their prime, but you get your first egg quckly. Older birds are much more expensive also. Most people do dive right in starting with chicks, but the wait for that first egg can drive you insane. Another thing to consider is that when you buy chicks, sexing isn't foolproof unless you go with a sex-linked or autosexing breed. You could end up with one or more roosters. I think most people on here would advise you that you can't go wrong either way! And you'll get plenty of support from here no matter how you start.

Day 1 of the spring semester is over for me! :celebrate Looks like it's going to be a fun semester! I have one biology class that's going to have a lot of field study involved with it later in the semester, yay! And, though I'm finding it a bit daunting still, I also had my first real Genetics class this morning! Prepare your minds for this semester! :lol:

So happy to see you post, and how exciting for the new chicks!!!! And what a lovely memorial gift for Frou-Frou. Still in early planning but am really determined to have a great Chickenfest this year!

Yes, I am so stoked for babies!! It was so hard not getting any last year! I need baby fuzzies to love on after that! Dare I say it? I've gone broody!

I hope we do get another ChickenFest this year, even if it's as simple as a bonfire or something! Looking forward to it! :D

So how is everyone's animals handling this cold? I kept all of my older birds cooped up today. They weren't too thrilled with me, but they got bowls of warm oatmeal and extra corn. Ive had to break ice in the waterers several times. Its not freezing solid just getting an ice film at the top. All the coops also got fresh straw. I made hubby drive me to rural king in the wrecker this morning for a new bale and we strapped it to the boom :). Im sure all the other drivers got a kick out of it!

Hope you all stay warm and safe! Hubby has pulled a lot of people out of ditches today!

My girls are taking the cold like champs. I've actually seen more of them outside today than yesterday, and it is by far colder today! Brrr!! I'm thanking all the forces out there that I decided to get off my rear and clean the coops out last weekend instead of putting it off until this upcoming weekend! :lol: I'm sure my birds are appreciating it!

We've had our fireplace going recently as well. Nothing like warming up by the fire after getting all the animals set up for the day!

Good luck with all the baby bunnies!

Power out several hours this morning, ugh. Had just set quail eggs in the bator last night, so they should be ok. We had finished weatherproofing all the coops so am just bracing for this first cold spell. Noticed that most of my birds have stopped laying, but one young brown chinese goose! She is still laying almost daily. Looking forward to spring already, its staying light out after 6pm.
Watching my flocks closely with this first hard night and the deep freeze. So far the geese and mallards are fine, EE are doing great. Muscovy are all in a big circle inside the old coop aside from a few drakes.. Had to take in my favorite black Muscovy drake, Groucho. He had got muddy, found him shivering by the back door. He got a good bath, blow dried and have him crated indoors for the night in the unheated porch Back to carrying water a few times a day! At least my livestock has heated troughs but they consume a lot more water than a bird does.

My only egg supplier as of late has been my Silkie, Marge, and she's working her way up to another broody spell. :barnie I hate having to buy eggs! Even as warm as it has been here for most of this season, spring can't get here fast enough for me!

I hope Groucho is doing better today. Love the name! :D

[COLOR=8B4513]Thank you for your condolences regarding the loss of my big, fluffy Eliza. It's comforting knowing that you guys truly understand. [/COLOR]:)
@pipdzipdnreadytogo [COLOR=8B4513]What a beautiful locket with Frou-Frou's photo! I thought of her during my recent ordeal with Eliza. Our girls looked related even though they were different breeds.[/COLOR]

:hugs I am so sorry for your loss, M2H. Your Eliza always did remind me of my Frou-Frou, in appearance and in some of the stories you wrote about her.

I'm glad that Adeline and Bonbon are keeping each other company! At least with Frou-Frou, she was not buddy-buddy with anyone in the flock, really, because she fancied herself more a 'people' than a chicken. I have been witness to mourning in my flock in the past, though. It always amazes me how complex these birds can be!

And, of course, now I have another bird who fancies herself a 'people', but she's a lot louder than Frou-Frou ever was. Just as high-maintenance, though. :rolleyes:

Just in case anyone is interested
I'm a networker of breeders
I'm not a hatchury most are show/breeder quality if you are interested please pm me we are preparing for spring not all are directly mine I have a few partners I represent
Endangered rare breed chicks and hatching eggs from quality stock
I usually have eggs or chicks of these following rare breeds.
Fancy chicken farms: Florida
Araucana chicks
eggs per dozen.
Cream Brabanter chicks, eggs dozen
French Black copper Maran to isbar chicks,
for 8 eggs
Bearded Silkie chicks
eggs dozen
Sultan chicks
eggs dozen
Blue isbar chicks
eggs 8

Pavlovskaya 8 eggs for
Svart Hona 8 eggs
Ayam Cemani 7 eggs

Svart hona cockerels

Ask about deals

MORE BREEDS IN
SPRING!!!
Gold mine of chickens: Indiana
Pavlovskia,
Ayam Cemani,
Svart Hona,
English Orpingtons,-
Jubilee, chocolate cuckoo, mottled,

Breda Fowl,
Serema,
Swedish Flower hen,
Rose comb Rhode Island Red heritage breed regular and bantam,
Orust,
Wooly Svart Hona,
self blue bantam
Silkies
and some fibro projects
showgirl
Polish tolbant frizzle and smooth,
snowflake quail,
blue Jubilee

Non endangered birds:
Kelevra farms indiana

Light brahmas
Buff orpington's
Dominique's
Black jersey giants
Rhode Island reds
White leghorns
Barred rocks
Silkies

Last edited:
Guys, now that holidays have passed, and many of us are settling down from it LOL I am bringing up ChickenFest again. Of course, we will monitor the AI risks and whats happening through BOAH. I would still like to see a northern get together so some of our out of state folks can attend too. Anyone thats not heard about it or attended before, its AWESOME!
Our first fest was graciously hosted by @racinchickins at his beautiful home. We had a wonderful meal, got to meet others in person! Also some swapping, and a couple learning events were included. Our second fest I hosted personally at our private campground in Liberty. Egg swaps, bird swaps tons of food! Special thanks to many members that helped make it a huge success including @Mother2Hens , @barb s and @minmin1258 . 2015 was cancelled due to AI found in Whitley county.
I am really sticking to a north location, but I do want to open discussion if we can make it happen this year! Either post or PM your thoughts. We will make sure there is a campground etc nearby for folks traveling also.
We may also be able to invite someone in to talk about AI and other critical poultry diseases, a Q&A session. Lots of other ideas we discussed for last year too. @PeacefulWalls may possibly be willing to host at her church, depending on her schedule. Anyways, shout out guys! We have some treasury funds collected to aid in costs for the fest too.

Doing something more Northern would be fun, but I am likely to be unable to drive all the way to the very Northern part of the state since I can only do day trips. How about something more in the Marian/Wabash area so it isn't so far out of reach for those in the Indy area, but still close for those from the far North? Just a thought and I understand if it has to be way up North! I think having speakers and demos would be fun. I'd love to see a presentation on common faults and what they actually look like (e.g. side sprigs or white tail feathers come to mind). A genetics for dummies presentation would be cool too.

Back
Top Bottom