INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

... and lots of cursing,...
@Lengerich Farms

That'll do it every time.
rant.gif
duc.gif

hit.gif

I can't believe it! I just went out to do an egg check. I noticed a hawk take to the air as I was walking out & found my poor Spitzie ripped to pieces. It was a gigantic bird - like a red-tailed hawk - so I doubt there was much the roosters could do.

I'm so very sad & in shock. She was one of my fastest chickens, in good health, with great reflexes. Also, she was white to blend in with the snow. I know this is just nature & to be expected, but it doesn't help my feelings at the moment. After 2 failed hatches from 2 diff breeders (shipped eggs), I finally got eggs in February via a friend who drove by an Appenzeller Spitzhauben breeder on vacation. I was so excited to have all 6 hatch & after much deliberation, we decided to keep our sweet Spitzie as the new fancy, member of our flock. She was a gentle, quiet, easy-going girl who always loved to pose for the camera. (We have more pics of this pullet during her short life than any hen or rooster we've ever owned.)

RIP my dear Spitzie.

While writing this, the kids came home from school. As you can probably tell, Spitzie was a favorite. Lots of tears today.

@Faraday40

Just curious... is the nipple bucket the only water source you use?

I've used the nipple bucket in the winter and otherwise before but I just felt like they weren't getting enough water. I guess I kind-of tend toward the traditional "pool" that they'd use if they were drinking naturally.

I had some nipple cups that I really liked because they were a great combo of the 2. But never worked for winter as they'd freeze.

Strangely enough, my birds absolutely LOVE these little cup waterers (lubbing cups NOT dineachick) They fill with water and the float valve shuts them off. I've considered trying to use them in winter with an in-bucket heater and a low-watt light aimed at the cups to keep the cups from freezing. But have never tried it.

s-l1600.jpg

hit.gif

I can't believe it! I just went out to do an egg check. I noticed a hawk take to the air as I was walking out & found my poor Spitzie ripped to pieces. It was a gigantic bird - like a red-tailed hawk - so I doubt there was much the roosters could do.

RIP my dear Spitzie.

While writing this, the kids came home from school. As you can probably tell, Spitzie was a favorite. Lots of tears today.
@Faraday40

Sigh. So sorry to hear that.

I also lost one 2 weeks ago very similar situation. I was probably just minutes short of preempting it. First bird I've lost to an attack since 2013.

Last edited:
@Faraday40

Just curious... is the nipple bucket the only water source you use?

I've used the nipple bucket in the winter and otherwise before but I just felt like they weren't getting enough water. I guess I kind-of tend toward the traditional "pool" that they'd use if they were drinking naturally.

I had some nipple cups that I really liked because they were a great combo of the 2. But never worked for winter as they'd freeze.

Strangely enough, my birds absolutely LOVE these little cup waterers (lubbing cups NOT dineachick) They fill with water and the float valve shuts them off. I've considered trying to use them in winter with an in-bucket heater and a low-watt light aimed at the cups to keep the cups from freezing. But have never tried it.

s-l1600.jpg
When offered other water sources, the chickens prefer a traditional fountain drinker. I only use those outside when day temps are above freezing. The horiz nipple bucket waterer is the only source of water in temps like these. I see them drink from it with far less waste & drippage, so it keep ice out of the run.

So do you switch them over to the nipple bucket "cold turkey" when it gets cold.... or do you always have it out normally and just remove the other sources when it's cold.

Sigh. So sorry to hear that.

I also lost one 2 weeks ago very similar situation. I was probably just minutes short of preempting it. First bird I've lost to an attack since 2013.
We lost a pullet to a hawk in Nov 2014. Also lost 2 chicks this summer -probably also to a hawk, because no remains were ever found. Just went missing. This is harder b/c Spitzie was part of the flock & family. DD trained her to fly up onto an outstretched arm when called.

So do you switch them over to the nipple bucket "cold turkey" when it gets cold.... or do you always have it out normally and just remove the other sources when it's cold.
The 2nd. I see them use the nipple drinker all year, but when the fountain drinker gets flipped over in the morning, they must all sample it. That's why I feel they prefer it. I never had a chicken refuse to drink from either type of waterer.

I'm sorry about Spitzie too. :(

When I saw the tears at the top of your post, my first thought was "Not Spitzie!" And then I had to scan fast, and then I was very sad. I'm so sorry for your children, especially. :hugs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom