INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Just walked up on a coyote in the woods right next to the house as I was gathering turkey eggs from nests I've discovered. Still 3 nests unaccounted for and have found eaten eggs but not nests in that area. This year girls have hidden them really well, nests not real defined and eggs covered with leaves. Only 1 hasn't done that and hers was the first I'd found. The 2nd just happened to be only 4 feet from the first. Hidden very well though.
Right now I have 2 hens not present that didn't roost last night so I'm hoping he wasn't coming back for seconds and doesn't find them before I do.

I swore I wouldn't let this happen again but it's so hard to not let them free range.

@ellymayRans All 3 still look like girls. (That could be good or bad depending on your goals.) Right about now is when you may see a few orange-red feather shafts start to form on the males' chests, so be on the lookout. Next week, you'll either see the same speckled chests (females) or some with salmon breasts (males). They look like mine - the common brown Coturnix quail. They lay a ton of eggs. Here were some of mine at the same age. The one in middle is male.
Well I was hoping for a trio and my luck they will be all female! Lol!!

Just walked up on a coyote in the woods right next to the house as I was gathering turkey eggs from nests I've discovered. Still 3 nests unaccounted for and have found eaten eggs but not nests in that area. This year girls have hidden them really well, nests not real defined and eggs covered with leaves. Only 1 hasn't done that and hers was the first I'd found. The 2nd just happened to be only 4 feet from the first. Hidden very well though.
Right now I have 2 hens not present that didn't roost last night so I'm hoping he wasn't coming back for seconds and doesn't find them before I do.

I swore I wouldn't let this happen again but it's so hard to not let them free range.

Well found the nest of another only due to feathers and eaten eggs! So hate predators!! Why can't things just be enjoyable without all the problems! I hate having them penned. Hate my peafowl being penned most of all! I had considered letting them free range again but guess not. My dog stayed outside all night last night barking up a storm but at 4 am when I tried to get him in I heard the Great Horned Owl so it's sticking around regardless of winter or not. Yet I have a pair of chickens, mutts, that have lived free range most of the winter and still alive! Roost on a low piece of plywood, no shelter and they are just thriving! Saved her once from a hawk during this but she's fine. So crazy!

Ok, I feel really stupid asking this but I have like no chicken friends around me anymore to ask. Does anyone in the Columbus area have a few fertile hatching eggs (any breed, mixed, weird whatever) that they would be willing to part with? I'm looking to add new blood to my flock but I am kind of leery of buying off the internet. I would much prefer to pick them up instead of trusting the USPS (My track record with eggs this season has been pretty rough so far even without the mail guy kicking them across my lawn
1f611.png
) I would he willing to pay for them or exchange eggs for eggs if anyone wants to do a hatch along or anything... cough

Last edited:
I didn't read it as shortness/rudeness, I read it as concern for a fellow BYCer
bow.gif
. I might have been screwed on the breed
th.gif
, but my goal was to get two pretty, laying hens so that part worked out.
lol.png

I've got a two Ameraucana pullets, a Buff Orpington pullet and an Ameraucana cockrel who is just starting to crow. (Its a pathetic crow) Missed my fresh eggs and was tired of waiting for August to roll around.
They are pretty. I have considered trying to create a BTA look alike mix, but would have to be way in the future.

Would be interested to know what color of eggs yours lay when they start.

Back
Top Bottom