INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

With great sadness, I'm here to share that our dear sweet Bubbles died yesterday. She was starting to molt and looked slightly off. Then a big, young cockerel decided she was easy pickings to mate. (He had a bad habit of jumping on any weak hen or young pullet. He's in the freezer now.) He took Bubbles by surprise & injured her. Her comb quickly went from pink to dark purple. She couldn't stand & laid on her side trying to catch her breath. About an hour later, she was walking around & coming out of shock. I was hopeful when I saw her eat, drink, & even spend some time outside with the flock. She lived for a few days but must have had some unseen injury. With all the mischief in that little hen, I'm so surprised that a rooster was her cause of death. i can't begin to describe my sadness over the loss. She will be missed by not only her family & friends, but by 300+ school children who look forward to seeing her at school presentations, parades, & special events. Bubbles was a very special girl.

RIP dear Bubbles 7-4-2015 - 8-17-2018

img_4248-jpg.1508607
bubbles-jpg.1508616

@Faraday40
What a shock! I just can't believe it. So sorry!!!
"Shock" and sadness really sums it up. Although Bubbles was technically DD's hen, I borrowed her all the time for presentations. She was overly friendly and demanded attention. She was a top hen, so the backyard dynamic is very different now. DS is especially weepy. Yesterday & today, DS has been going to the garden spot where we buried Bubbles & quietly sitting there saying his silent Good Byes. Poor little guy.

Your story makes me want to re-think having a rooster around.

I suspect that, years ago, one of my roosters was the death of one of my BR's. It was an extremely hot day and I came home to a dead br that was perfectly healthy and not a mark on her body. I observed the rooster chasing the other girls around excessively the same day so I removed him to his own pen during that hot spell.

BR's are heavy and heavily feathered and shouldn't be running around in the kind of heat we had. She was the only bird that ever died in a perfectly healthy state that I've had.

With great sadness, I'm here to share that our dear sweet Bubbles died yesterday. She was starting to molt and looked slightly off. Then a big, young cockerel decided she was easy pickings to mate. (He had a bad habit of jumping on any weak hen or young pullet. He's in the freezer now.) He took Bubbles by surprise & injured her. Her comb quickly went from pink to dark purple. She couldn't stand & laid on her side trying to catch her breath. About an hour later, she was walking around & coming out of shock. I was hopeful when I saw her eat, drink, & even spend some time outside with the flock. She lived for a few days but must have had some unseen injury. With all the mischief in that little hen, I'm so surprised that a rooster was her cause of death. i can't begin to describe my sadness over the loss. She will be missed by not only her family & friends, but by 300+ school children who look forward to seeing her at school presentations, parades, & special events. Bubbles was a very special girl.

RIP dear Bubbles 7-4-2015 - 8-17-2018

img_4248-jpg.1508607
bubbles-jpg.1508616

Oh no. I am sorry.

The right rooster is a great addition to a flock. I do think a rooster free zone is a must though. I almost have one a rooster free zone, since my rooster Cali, who is with just one hen and her chicks (not her true offspring), rarely mates.

Last year I set six eggs that were supposed to be fertilized by him, and only two were fertile. After that I figured out it's because he doesn't mate much.

He's been a very good step dad and protector.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom