INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Patiently awaiting Olive's clutch to hatch. Its so hard seeing inside the blue/green eggs Candling doesn't help a lot. I picked out most of the brown eggs since those are just mutts without any EE genes. (although technically, EE are mutts also!) Blue, my little blue Maran hen went and hid somewhere, has a nest. By time I see her out she takes off, have yet to find the nest. And I still have 1 broody scovy yet too!

I completely understand. I currently have 4 of my July pullets for sale, but 3 more hens went broody in August. There are only 8 chicks total between the 3, but that's 12 extras I do not plan to keep. I also take back any of my former chicks that turned out to be male, so add 4 more.

.....and now look who's going broody again!
View attachment 1526897
:barnie:barnie:barnie
:love Trouble, how could you tell that sweet face NO CHICKS! JK I bet she is a broody machine.

:love Trouble, how could you tell that sweet face NO CHICKS! JK I bet she is a broody machine.
EVERY TIME she goes broody I remind her that I read "Sebrights seldom go broody"! We spent all that time teaching her how to fly up to my arm on command..... When I should have taught her how to read! Besides having the only literate chicken, perhaps she'd believe and obey the book.

She's not a perpetual broody (like a silkie), but can be pretty intense & stubborn about it. She's also very vocal about things -- and very easily offended when broody. LOL

6 years into this, just getting started! I have to say I wasn't real impressed with the Cornish cross from Meyer hatchery. Granted its been a more humid summer than usual. I have lost several from "flip" aka heart attack. I try to leave some for broiler size, but geez this line just isn't holding out for it. They free range daily, no reason they shouldn't be doing better. Going to try another hatchery line late spring. Will post some numbers on final cost soon. Wasn't a win for sure.
With fall coming I have started downsizing plans too. Will be contacting our regular customers (friends, neighbors) that like/want Pekin type ducks and guinea fowl. 3 goat wethers that I also need to make choices on. I had planned to process all myself but my fall calendar is getting booked fast. Cooler temps I may still do so this weekend in the barn.
(cow math.. have 3 ladies we are allowed 5!) I have one cow I am looking hard at buying. Super sweet, 4 year old "brood" Jersey. She is currently feeding 3 calves and none are hers! We're going to construct a 5 stall cow barn to house our ladies this fall. High enough roof to use our tractor bucket to scrape manure/soiled bedding. We have portable buildings now. I want a more manageable system all in one space that allows them locked up at night, or if calving. Enough room for the stanchion and milking machine also. In the mornings I can milk them and let them out to pasture with their calves. Strongly thinking of another building for my goat does for the same reasons. Also have plans to build 3 of the "chickshaws" for my Leghorn, EE and Muscovy flocks. I recently posted a video on the coop design.

My turkey poult pic needs a caption....
IMG_2121 copy - Copy.jpg

@Faraday40 Do you always give your broodies eggs to hatch? It feels not quite right taking their eggs, because they are doing what is natural.

My Ameraucana already hatched one brood this year. All hers. Four pullets, and only one roo!

@Faraday40 Do you always give your broodies eggs to hatch? It feels not quite right taking their eggs, because they are doing what is natural.

My Ameraucana already hatched one brood this year. All hers. Four pullets, and only one roo!
I take their eggs & kick them out of the nest box when they 1st go broody. If it's cold/winter or they're just not very serious, then that's enough to break them. If they're persistent for several days and sitting tight, then I'll give them some eggs of my choosing. (Purebred chicks are easier to sell than the random eggs a hen may steal.) If I don't want a lot of chicks, 2-3 eggs is enough. If I happen to have eggs in the incubator, they'll get some & the rest are given to them as they hatch. This year, all of the chicks were raised by hens - except for a mini quail hatch.

Back
Top Bottom