INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Thanks. She is doing well. She is sweet and feisty.
@Faraday40 sorry to hear that.

I had a hawk land in the yard about 10' away from my ducks yesterday looked like he was figuring out my muscovies. I was cleaning out the chicken coop and rushed over to herd them back into the run and he flew off. I think they knew he was around because they didn't do their normal routine of walking through the yard up to our back patio.

:hit

Brutal hawk attack today took the life of my Cream Crested Legbar. Although not a flock fav, she was nicknamed Dolores after my mom. (There's a family story involved there, but since my mom is no longer living, I guess I was keeping the hen around for the memories.) She was a beautiful hen, with rich color, & always striking a pose. She laid pretty sky blue eggs & with my EE, They earned blue ribbons at the county fair for the past 4 years. My EE is 6 yrs old, so I highly doubt we'll be able to gather a whole dozen from her alone.

RIP my sweet little hen.
img_6860-copy-copy-jpg.1589198
img_6868-copy-copy-jpg.1589199
img_6877-copy-jpg.1589200
img_7859-jpg.1589196
Like the pics, but sad for your loss.

Took a few pictures yesterday. I'm happy with how my EEs turned out. They haven't laid an egg yet, but are at the age.
DSCN5273.JPG

The mom is a blue wheaten Ameraucana, and the blue coloring shows on the tail feathers of this one.
DSCN5274.JPG

The dad is a multi-colored barred mix, and I can't get close enough to see the pattern on these two blonde ones, but I think there is some barring, or a cuckoo pattern. It's difficult to tell with their light coloring.
DSCN5275.JPG

Mom (in the center) with her two almost grown "chicks".
DSCN5278.JPG

Took a few pictures yesterday. I'm happy with how my EEs turned out. They haven't laid an egg yet, but are at the age.
View attachment 1590443

The mom is a blue wheaten Ameraucana, and the blue coloring shows on the tail feathers of this one.
View attachment 1590446

The dad is a multi-colored barred mix, and I can't get close enough to see the pattern on these two blonde ones, but I think there is some barring, or a cuckoo pattern. It's difficult to tell with their light coloring.
View attachment 1590447

View attachment 1590451
Very pretty. How old are they?

View attachment 1590443

View attachment 1590446

View attachment 1590447

View attachment 1590451
Very pretty girls. Although old enough, you may not see eggs until Feb or March.

I found that all my blue egg layers "shut off" for the winter but then layed almost daily spring- Sept. I had ONE green egg layer slow down in winter, but even those green egg layers took a winter break.

Very pretty girls. Although old enough, you may not see eggs until Feb or March.

I found that all my blue egg layers "shut off" for the winter but then layed almost daily spring- Sept. I had ONE green egg layer slow down in winter, but even those green egg layers took a winter break.
I wondered. Just a feeling about them, and with it cold early. I don't give them much supplemental lighting, just approximately 1/2 hour extra.

I'll be curious to see if my June girls lay at the normal age. Last time I had June chicks, they didn't start laying until about Feb. Different breed, however.
My Dominiques have always been great layers. They were an April hatch, and started laying in October and continued all winter!

Back
Top Bottom