INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Have you seen this Craigslist ad? I saw it shortly before I read your post.
https://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/grd/d/dayton-cream-legbar-started-chicks/6846453107.html

And this one for hatching eggs (probably the same person)
https://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/grd/d/dayton-hatching-eggs/6846464611.html

I had cream legbars a few years ago. The hens were pretty dull looking, but the roosters were gorgeous! I wanted them for blue eggs, but even though I got my hens from 3 different sources, none of them laid blue. They all laid green tinted eggs. :( I phased them out after a while, but that seller's photo of nice blue eggs caught my eye. I wonder how true to life that photo is. I started to think an hour drive up to Lafayette to see in person might be worthwhile. Then I came back to reality and reminded myself I have too many other current chicken plans right now.

Good luck, I hope you find some nice cream legbars!

Thanks for the links! I'll check them out.

@jchny2000
Strangely enough, I had to process one of the Dom boys this season (which were not purchased for meat - just an extra boy). They are a pretty small breed but I was surprised on how meaty he was. It was a total surprise. And great tasting meat.

@jchny2000
Strangely enough, I had to process one of the Dom boys this season (which were not purchased for meat - just an extra boy). They are a pretty small breed but I was surprised on how meaty he was. It was a total surprise. And great tasting meat.
2 other heritage breeder quality birds have been the English Buff Orp and the RIR roosters. 4 years ago I had these breeds but life events we downsized. I was impressed with them too but again finding breeder quality, ugh. The Bresse is one I've not tried yet so Its worth a shot.

UGH Stinkbugs! It was warm and sunny today, these nasty bugs are everywhere! How are they in my house to begin with? :sick They started appearing about 2 years ago. Now they seem to be everywhere! I found several all over my plants I started for the garden. Picked them all off and put them in a water bottle. Yep drowned the nasty things. Not as bad as a skunk but they are pretty rank. I recently read they are the same as a squash bug. I've looked up several comments best answer I found here:
https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/stink-bug-or-squash-bug-can-you-tell-difference
I know I don't want them invading our house. Is anyone else seeing them? Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

I haven't posted this in a long time. I want anyone visiting our thread to know YOU ARE WELCOME! We don't care where you live, California, the moon or Australia it doesn't matter. We do have a few children on our thread so I ask discussion is family friendly. Aside from that, I hope you will share life events like the rest of us do. We all love pictures! We welcome pictures you would love to share.
I have a small working farm 5 acres. We keep cows, goats, geese, chicken and Muscovy. I also plant about an 8000 sq ft garden annually that's about to get a bit larger. Guys share what your plans are I'm sure many folks will enjoy it. Please holler if you need help or advice.

I get stink bugs every year but haven't seen many yet this year. You really have to stay on top of them. We have an upstairs (more like a modified attic) that we don't use unless we have guests. When we go up there it often has a lot of dead stink bugs. Very frustrating.

When we find them we catch them and take them out for the chickens.

We get the Brown Stink Bugs in the house by some mysterious manner. We see dozens of brown ones, but usually only see a few green ones. How do those little buggers get inside--and stay alive so long?
As I recall, the Brown ones were accidentally brought over from Asia and the Green Stink Bugs are a native species. They both cause the same crop damage, though, and we kill them just the same.
I hate accidentally vacuuming up a live one, then that stinkyness gets blown all around the house.

Back
Top Bottom