INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Tomorrow (this morning since I never sleep) the new hatched BR, BCM, LAM will join their flocks. I'm expecting an uprising and hateful act from my 4 adult BRs. All the new birds are 12 weeks and no longer have chick sounds. I'm betting this will not go well and that's fine. Mean hens will get time out. I add new hens yearly obviously so we always have eggs. How do you introduce new hens without issues?

Thats where I grew up and lived 35 years. I remember Komo's on 41! They sure offered awesome meats but thats 21 years ago. Komo's may be able to direct you to a good local shop or do it themselves.

Komo's is unfortunately out of business as of probably 10 year's ago?? That kinda doesn't seem right... it has been a long time. But there's Welch's in St John on 41 (in the building just north of where Kmart used to be) and on Rt 30, there's Rob's to the East of Jewel

Anyone interested in taking one of my Golden Sebright roos? They’re about five months old now. My rooster to hen ratio is too high and these Sebrights have ended up being a pretty vocal pair. I’m in Fishers. :)

I turned down someone from Craigslist who wanted to pick up my Sebrights. Very strange, but the person just sounded off. I don't pretend that all chickens go to live magical lives somewhere, but this person said they would "take as many roosters as I could spare". And when I asked about what their setup was and how large their flock was, the answers were very vague.

I turned down someone from Craigslist who wanted to pick up my Sebrights. Very strange, but the person just sounded off. I don't pretend that all chickens go to live magical lives somewhere, but this person said they would "take as many roosters as I could spare". And when I asked about what their setup was and how large their flock was, the answers were very vague.
Make sure your post reflects that you want them to have a good home and that they are not for eating otherwise you're going to get a lot of those

Make sure your post reflects that you want them to have a good home and that they are not for eating otherwise you're going to get a lot of those
Going to update my post to be more clear, it says, “To a good home” already, but I’ll make it clearer.
Who would want to go through all that work to eat a few ounces of Sebright?

You would be surprised. Some people eat pigeons.... :idunno

Good point.

Well, good news is I have re-homed them with a lovely older couple that lives about an hour out on a farm. They couldn't believe how beautiful the Golden Sebrights were and now my crowing situation is fixed for the time being.

I tell ya, those Sebrights were hard to catch. Tiny little guys with an attitude that screamed like teenage girls when I finally did grab them. My big ol' Barred Rock just sat there dumbfounded while they squealed.

Now the question is whether or not my Silkie Roo will replace their crowing once the pecking order is rearranged. I'm 99% he will, but I'm holding out hope that my Barred Rock roo's crow stays low in pitch (even if loud) and that his crowing is enough to keep the Silkie roo from crowing. If not, I'll be looking for new homes for those two as well. :-/

Good point.

Well, good news is I have re-homed them with a lovely older couple that lives about an hour out on a farm. They couldn't believe how beautiful the Golden Sebrights were and now my crowing situation is fixed for the time being.

I tell ya, those Sebrights were hard to catch. Tiny little guys with an attitude that screamed like teenage girls when I finally did grab them. My big ol' Barred Rock just sat there dumbfounded while they squealed.

Now the question is whether or not my Silkie Roo will replace their crowing once the pecking order is rearranged. I'm 99% he will, but I'm holding out hope that my Barred Rock roo's crow stays low in pitch (even if loud) and that his crowing is enough to keep the Silkie roo from crowing. If not, I'll be looking for new homes for those two as well. :-/
Roosters in general are hard to catch. It's best to corner them and grab whatever you can before they get away. Pro tip: grab the legs. Keeps you from getting spurred or pecked.
I'm in a similar boat right now. We bought 12 straight runs and 11 were roos. I've got 8 more I havent had time to "deal with" yet.

Back
Top Bottom