INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

.................sniff.....................sniff.......................no love or laughter from the Indiana BYC crowd about our SLW Merlin and his first crowing..........................sniff.............he's out there this morning, pathetically crowing, or crying, since nobody has made any comments about him. Maybe he should just go to freezer camp now and get it over with.

Everybody is worried about global warming/cooling/mad cow disease/hormones and not about a sad attempt at crowing.

Seriously, does anyone know if this predicts anything about crowing when he is 4-6 months older than now?

lol. You said it - Back to Chickens! I'm not sure about early attempts predicting how the roo will crow later, but I am right there with you laughing at the pathetic attempts my young boys are doing. They get all puffed up, stretch out their necks.....and 'Urrrrk' is about all that comes out. But I will say my Fayoumi sounded like that when he started, and the crows are full throated now. My guys seem to crow around 6-6:30 in the morning, and again mid afternoon. So far it hasn't been the all day crow-a-thon that everyone has been warning me about.

Babies! :love Can't get enough of them!

Po baby, the frizzle Cochin bantam:

Tiwhiri the light brown Leghorn:

Rangi the troublemaker!!

Look what Rangi's figured out how to do!

Hika Ma the EE bantam:

Scratching up their bedding. :rolleyes: The feeder and waterer are no longer safe.

INSTAR8,

Thanks for the offer.

I want some colored egg chickens, but with $4 fuel, it's gotta be closer.

I was gonna drive up to buy a couple of Auracana hens from SassyChix until I calculated the price of fuel used and realized I would be paying, in effect, $60 for 2 hens. Reluctantly, I had to abandon the mission and call her to cancel. They are nice looking hens. Too bad. Anyone interested who lives closer to Rensselaer should check her out.

John

.................sniff.....................sniff.......................no love or laughter from the Indiana BYC crowd about our SLW Merlin and his first crowing..........................sniff.............he's out there this morning, pathetically crowing, or crying, since nobody has made any comments about him. Maybe he should just go to freezer camp now and get it over with.

Everybody is worried about global warming/cooling/mad cow disease/hormones and not about a sad attempt at crowing.

Seriously, does anyone know if this predicts anything about crowing when he is 4-6 months older than now?

It means you should rehome him to me. My neighbors like to hear the 5:30 AM crowing. I'll go to Kroger and buy you 2 chickens for your one SLW roo.

John

lol. You said it - Back to Chickens! I'm not sure about early attempts predicting how the roo will crow later, but I am right there with you laughing at the pathetic attempts my young boys are doing. They get all puffed up, stretch out their necks.....and 'Urrrrk' is about all that comes out. But I will say my Fayoumi sounded like that when he started, and the crows are full throated now. My guys seem to crow around 6-6:30 in the morning, and again mid afternoon. So far it hasn't been the all day crow-a-thon that everyone has been warning me about.

That rooster sounds like my grandson when his voice started changing. Every time he spoke, a smile crept to my lips.

John

I am no longer worried about the 2 week old Indian Runner Ducks being hurt by the 6 week old Cochins after watching a Cochin hen peck at one of them and the duck retaliated with a full-head bite to the hen. The duck went after the chicken for at least 18 inches, which is a HUGE distance for one of these ducks to be away from it's flock-mates. The hen immediately departed the area.

The ducks are still in down, so I don't put them outside until the temperature is 80.

John

Well, then you haven't lost all your marbles....I drove all the way to Connecticut last fall for a pair of free Barnevelder...ROOSTERS! They are beautiful. Actually, I have soome friends in MA i hadn't seen in 10 years, so i had a nice visit with them before picking up the roos. Other wise, those birds would've cost me about $400. WARNING! I DO NOT recommend spending 19 hours in a car with two chickens!!! Don't Stink and Drive!!!

Ha, Ha! he actually doesn't sound that bad, I've heard a lot more pathetic attempts.At least he's got rhythm! The first time I ever heard a new crower, I jumped out of bed and ran outside to do battle, I thought some predator was out there hurting him! Yep, he'll only do it 8 times in the morning, and then no more...quiet allllll day! heh heh heh....

Ha, Ha! he actually doesn't sound that bad, I've heard a lot more pathetic attempts.At least he's got rhythm!  The first time I ever heard a new crower, I jumped out of bed and ran outside to do battle, I thought some predator was out there hurting him!

:lol: I thought the same thing when one of my accidental EE boys started crowing a couple years ago! Boy, was he ever sad when he started...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom