INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I'm a novice, but my opinion is the more we pamper them, the more they depend on us to survive. Leave the chickens to make it on their own & they'll be just fine.

I'm a novice, but my opinion is the more we pamper them, the more they depend on us to survive. Leave the chickens to make it on their own & they'll be just fine.

I tend to agree...... Last winter I spent so much time worrying about the chickens being cold! I finally realized (with my husband's help! LOL) that we have winter every year, and if they couldn't make it without my constant concerns, then I probably needed to not have chickens!

Take the precautions that you can like blocking drafts and direct wind, giving them some extra scratch before bed and in the morning, and making sure they have fresh water. I've heard mixed things about putting stuff on their combs, so I don't.

Remember -- the wind chill won't affect them if they're in the coop. Here it's going to be 3 degrees real temperature tonight, and I know they'll be fine in that. Personally, I was more concerned about the huge temperature drop the other day then I am of sustained cold. Heat concerns me, too.

All of this goes out the window if you breeds that aren't cold hardy, though.

I also believe in letting them be chickens and not worrying about adding heat.

One thing you have to consider - if you get them acclimated to warmth in the barn/coop and then your electricity goes out, then you have a problem.

Think of your dogs. If they are outdoor dogs that have been outdoors since summertime and getting acclimated to the dropping temps, they do fine. But if you suddenly put your outdoor dog outside in the cold in mid-winter after their having been inside...well, then you have a problem.

I have 3 week old chicks that are outside with their momma. They were hatched when the temp was about 22 degrees during the days and teens at night. They are all alive and well with their momma that keeps them warm.

I also know folks up in Canada and their temps have been in the negatives for quite awhile and they don't add heat.

Just some food for thought!

Well they're all cold hardy, this is my first winter with them so I was just a little worried. Thank you guys so much you put me at ease
smile.png

I have two used LG incubators, still air, no turners that I'm not using since I bought a used Sportsman and hatcher 3 years ago. . One is more "used" that the other.
big_smile.png
Had bought a turner for one of them, and it lasted just until the warranty period expired. If anyone is interested, make me an offer and I'll find out what shipping would be if you're not close by.

My most consistent hatching success has actually been with a Brower Top Hatch, which I also haven't used since buying the cabinet. It rolled the eggs nicely so that the same side wasn't always up, but I had to move them to the for hatching to stop turning. With the Sportsman I have eggs that develop well, still moving when they go into lockdown, and then don't hatch. Any ideas what's happening there? It's better since I started also turning them by hand each day so that they're getting the other side up, which they don't get with just the turner.

I'm considering sending the Top Hatch in for rejuvenation (needs a replacement part) and compare hatches between it and the sportsman.

My flock does fine in the cold. I do have a heat lamp in the coop but not for heating the coop but for heating their water. I have a 5 gallon bucket i use for water so i have the heat lamp just facing down on it. Its like 15 degrees out right now and my girls are still laying good. Today so far I pulled 13 eggs out and there is still a hen in a box sitting on some not sure how many because i tried to reach under her and she kept pecking me so i just left her alone. I have been feeding them fermented feed mixed with some dry for 4 days now. Wondering if thats help them lay more now.

Guys, anyone else raise guineas? Harder to find good info on them, they roost with my chickens so i am hoping they will be fine? I know the geese will be, and i have seen the muscovy fare pretty well. I would say this year has turned into a "real winter"... I got spoiled last year.

Back
Top Bottom